Fly-Fishing for Smallies - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Fly-Fishing for Smallies

First, I'm a total infant when it comes to fly fishing. I've never done, never owned a fly rod, nothing. I've been considering it for a few years and I'm pretty sure I'd like to try it. I want to fish for smallmouth bass and maybe some carp on a fly rod. I'm not really that interested in trout fishing although I'm sure that would come after time if I got decent at it.

Do you guys have any suggestions on a good, quality fly rod for that type of fishing? Obviously it costs some money to get into fly fishing and I don't want to go the super cheap route but I also don't want to spend upwards of a thousand dollars to get going.

I've been looking at Tim Holschlag's smallmouth angler fly rods and they seems decent but who can really tell? I mean he's a smallmouth guru but they are after all, his rods. It's only natural that he would praise them. But at $375 I wouldn't want to buy one if I could buy something comparable for $100 less.

"Catch and release is best practiced in solitude."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to PA12pt
Re: Fly-Fishing for Smallies

My big river rod for smallmouth and carp is a 5/6 weight pflueger road and reel combo. It works decent for that but if i could id get something a little heavier, maybe a 7 or 8 weight. But ive caught 2 big carp on that pflueger and it held up to the test both time so no problems with smallies. I think it only cost me like $60 or so for the complete set up fly line and backing and everything.

Philippians 4:13
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Could I ask how often you fly fish for smallies? I'm not trying to intrude but I'd be doing it a lot so a rod that would hold up would be great.

That sounds like a decent deal though and like I said, I don't want to go too expensive to start in case I end up not sticking with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

will you be doing most of your fishing from a boat or wading? If you're wading I'd stick with a 9' 7 weight with a faster action. If you'll be fishing from a boat, Scott and Redington both make 7'11" rods that would be ideal and fall in under $200. Anything from a 6 to 8 weight rod with a fast action is what you're looking for.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 PM

After converting to flyfishing for smallies in July I never went back. I'm a teacher, and after a grad course was over mid july I was on the water literally 6 days a week using it. I went cheap, a 9 foot 6 weight from Sports authority that cost about 65$ that shoots line like a champ. My buddy has a Reddington, or orvis, can't remember which that he took out and mine was actually easier to cast and shoot line longer distances. I'd fish for up to 4-5 hours and after your arm builds up muscle memory and strength, you don't get tired casting, and you can project the line with less effort.

I started out with just fly poppers and then started tying my own, which is a lot of fun and more economical. My go to fly though is a long shank, olive, #6 bead head wooly bugger with a black maribou tail with flashabou strands, olive chenele and a winding of lead wire along the entire shank. Sinks like a rock and after you learn to cast them without beaning yourself in the back of the head or shoulder, it's just like tube jigging.

My highlights this summer were catching the same 19" smallie in a 100 yard stretch of the stogie at different times on the fly rod and a 28.5" carp on the fly rod. Even a 10 incher that you can have in hand in less than 4 seconds with your spinning gear makes for an enjoyable fight! Good luck, let me know if you have other questions.

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'd likely be doing a mix of wading and floating in a kayak.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 04:00 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

i would recommend a 7wt rod with a medium fast action at least 9' long. the reel should be decent, i like large arbor, but not exceptional with a spare spool. get good line a floating weight foward line and a intermediate sinking line. look for used rods and you can get a higher quality rod for half the original price. i like the TFO sinature TiCr model, Scott A3 (i like the original SAS if you can find it, the A2 is good also) Redington Redfly, Sage FLi, St Croix imperial or avid or older Ultras. for the reel the orvis BBS III LA or MA; the Lamson Guru 3 or velocity 3 are superb. the Ross gunnison or cimmeron 4, go to some fly fishing boards and you'll find good used equipment for sale.

RIZ
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to PA12pt

During the summer id say i got about 3 or 4 evenings a week and the rods held up for 2 years of that abuse now. When i first started i fished for trout with it too....a little big but worked well there too. And both the carp were a 4o-45 min fight each with some pretty strenuous pulling and it didn't snap haha....but i mean if you can afford to go better than id do it but for $60 bucks you can't really beat it

Philippians 4:13

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page