Oakorchard Update* PICS* - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Oakorchard Update* PICS*

Got back last night.
It was unreal, the size and strength of the fish.
Met some really nice folks on river. Couple people from lewisburg netted my 1st salmon and guy from greensburg really helped.
Weather was perfect and fish were running.
Only landed two legally.

Went to dam to see what all this hoopla was about. What a ZOO. People snagging and yelling. one guy had a hook inhis cheeck. Warden was ticketing people and there was a fight there couple days before, and a stabbing last year.

hope to get pics posted soon. Already booked next years trip.

thanks everyone for there help

<span style="color: #00FF00">anysoldier.com</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
The Man

Re: Oakorchard Update

As much as I love it up there, it's just too nutty for me...I'll stay home and bowhunt.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ken
As much as I love it up there, it's just too nutty for me...I'll stay home and bowhunt.
Couldn't agree more. If you can make it up during the week, it is almost bearable. To give it a go during the weekend, would be the equivalent of tail gating at a Brittney Spears concert Something I don't wish on my worst enemy

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Glad to hear you had a good time Archer.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

I take fishing real serious and respect the fish and and waterways and Its a Real shame to see all them Clowns at the Dam, Its the biggest joke I have ever seen, I'm so discussed I could throw up with there crap!!! My crew and I just grit our teeth walking past the dam to go down the river to fish it normal it like it should be fished. Not with shark hooks and 80lb test line used for tuna and marlin. And the best part not a [censored] Ny State Warden anywhere in sight. I don't get it, People like them clowns ruin it for everyone and people with kids trying to teach them how to fish and respect nature. Its not about ripping shark hooks across the river snagging brown trout steels and salmon by the side and tail Intentionally. Its about enjoying the outdoors having fun and appreciating the great fish god put there thousands of years ago, Not to mention way before all the Loser Dam Rippers made it there. If you never seen this dam then you couldn't imagine it in a million years, Guys drunk all over, Trash everywhere!! guys screaming yelling swearing, snagging, treating fish like they are a piece of trash. Its people like that that ruin it for our future. I just wish NY State would Enforce a lot more on the Oak then they do! I guarantee you wont ever see that in PA!!!! You cant go to any place in Pa and see such of a disgrace as u do at that dam. And if anyone disagrees with how I feel and thinks, then you are one of them and better get your head examined!! your Snagging Intentionally! Good luck to all the legit fishermen and anyone that loves the sport like I do. Respect the outdoors respect the fish and the water, but just dont don't complain when its all gone someday. Because you created it.
-tight lines smooth drags

Fishing, Turkey Hunting, Shed Hunting, Archery Hunting yep that's it!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 PM

Ahh gotta love the Oak lol. Guys, it is the same year after year and while I agree it can be sickening that is the nature of the beast. When salmon are in the NY tribs you must be prepared to see some of the worst sportsman I have ever encountered.

Wait for a few snowflakes to fly and try again, it attracts a different breed of fisherman.

Anyhow, thanks for the report Archer! I will be headin mup in another month or two.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 AM

[quote=Esox_Hunter]
Wait for a few snowflakes to fly and try again, it attracts a different breed of fisherman.

Exactly!

Catching Chrome Angling Services
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

<span style="color: #00FF00">anysoldier.com</span>
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 PM

Archerobx.....that is a VERY nice male Atlantic salmon! I only mention it because you didn't and it is very definitely mention-worthy.

Redwolf23....the salmon are stocked in Lake Ontario by the NYDEC---they were not put there by 'God thousands of years ago'. They are stocked as a "put and take" fishery. While snagging was outlawed a few years ago the DEC still allows "lifting" to take place---especially with salmon. The salmon are going to die anyway and that is why the DEC allows them to be taken in that manner. Its unfortunate that browns, steelhead and ocassionally atlantics have to fall prey to the degenerate mass of humanity that congregate at the dam but that is the nature of the beast.
You will never see the "disgrace" play out in PA like it does in NY because PA does not have any salmon. When PA was stocking cohos in the 70's and 80's the snaggers were everywhere. PA dropped the salmon program in favor of steelhead which do not die upon spawning......as it is a fair amount of "lifting" still takes place in Erie with the steelhead.

Do not take this as my condoning that activity---I'm merely trying to provide an explanation for it. I have run a charter service in Lake Ontario for 25 years and last October I made my very FIRST visit to the dam, just to see the spectacle. As you said it is beyond description what goes on there and is certainly nothing I would ever want to partake in. However, I see nothing wrong with people enjoying themselves---if that's what they think they're doing. Personally, catching a half dead king in a river is NOTHING compared to catching one fairly in the middle of the lake in July or August. The difference in food quality is like night and day and so is the fight. Like others have said, if the crowd upsets you that much stay away until December or January. If you really want to see how a LIVE king fights (and tastes) give me a call and I'll get you hooked up with a few next summer!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 PM

PA steelheading may not be as morally reprehensible as NY salmon fishing, but it sure isn't exactly a model for ethics either. Anywhere you have big fish that you can see people are bound to act like idiots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page