Anybody been to the Salmon since the high water? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Anybody been to the Salmon since the high water?

Just wondering if any of you gentlemen have been up to the Salmon River or any tribs since the flooding? Water is still currently running at 1600cfs. Better than 20,000cfs last week! 750 is about my limit up there. High water kept me home this weekend .
I think the high water will actually end the season early this year. NEVER remember water flows like this up there in all my years fishing.
Was wondering if the holiday weekend was still a zoo despite the conditions?

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Re: Anybody been to the Salmon since the high water?

Have not been up, (planning on the 1st week of November).

But have received first hand reports from 2 buddies that just spent 3 days up there -

SR still running like choco milk (can't see your feet in knee deep water). Water is slightly clearer below the 2 feeder tribs.

River is loaded with fish - including lots of steelhead.

UFZ seems to have taken the brunt of damage from high flows.

They didn't fish smaller waters but took a ride to check things out - smaller tribs resembled Shoulder to Shoulder Killing Fields. The N. Sandy "hole" at the Rte 3 bridge is no more due to widespread bank collapses upstream.

Can't wait for the Salmon Circus to end... Bring on the snow.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just got back last night. I fished Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Only hit the SR a little each day. Water still up, 1600 until Monday, and off-color. I would not say Choco milk, as you can see the bottom in some of the shallow areas but it is not any where close to clear. We fished the ball park all days. Thursday being the best. Friday was just ok until around 10 then nothing. I stayed away on Saturday as the place was a mad house. We mainly hooked kings but there was quite a few steel on.

We didn't hit the popular tribs as they were as varmitblaster discribed. I don't fish that way. The river has changed a lot. Some holes fille in, some new ones were created but it's still the same river. I think most of the salmon fishing is comeing to an end, thank god. Looks to me like an early trout season this year. I did hit the LFZ Friday and Saturday. There was a lot of kings there and some trout mixed in but mostly kings. fish the slack water or off the main current and you will find fish.

Yes we have electricity in Shunk... We just have to feed the squirrels every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:29 PM

manfromshunk - Love your signature - LOL

You live in God's Country up there.. I enjoy traveling the
logging roads that lead to/from Masten and some of the small brookie streams....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They are dropping the flow to 750 cfs as of 8am today.

I will be there tomorrow and post a report when I get back.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good luck Tanner, make sure you take the trout gear as there are a lot of steelhead in the river right now. Hopefully they don't put the river up again tonight after 9:00. I wish I could head back up. I got a new float rod and real and really want to break it in some more.

varmitblaster- I do love it up here it truly is gods country. I'm not far from Masten, I acctually live just out of Wheelerville.

Yes we have electricity in Shunk... We just have to feed the squirrels every day.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Part of the Community

i was up there friday-sunday. people were catching salmon in the roughest water, i seen alot of lines break(and rods). i caught my first jack king on fly rod, it was a rush. not the biggest fish in town but had plenty of horse power. im going back.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

its going to be a few weeks til i go back, i wanna let those kings die and the crowds go away
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hear from a close sourse water was really like 25000 cfs and river has changed espesially the upper fly zone be up the second week of nov for 4 days and then 6 days the day after thanks giving the u tube vidios are scary lookin fished it for 25 yrs seen it at 5000 pluse this was insain
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

I'm heading up tomorrow morning with a buddy from work, getting a late start however.

Never Misses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page