"Peeping caddis" worked well - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

"Peeping caddis" worked well

Hit up my favorite un-approved trout water stream on Saturday. I was a little skeptical as to what would be left over. A rough summer, and terrible winter had me a bit optimistic of what I would find. My favorite little honey hole, had totally changed as well. The ice jams looked as thought the carved a trough down through the stream. The easy to fish and easy to pick out holding lies, and feeding lies, were not there and had to go back to the basics. Was nice, as I knew this stream by rock from fishing it so much over the last few years, as I had been limited on travel time due to becoming a dad.

The stream was just a smidge colored and almost clear. The flow was a bit lower than the norm for this time of year, but was very fishable. I was very happy to get out and be on the water, finally. I am a die hard winter fly fisherman, and this winter the streams were completely froze almost from December on in my area.

I ended up landing three, losing 3, and missing quite a few. Two of the three landed were on the Peeping caddis pattern, and the other was caught on a bright orange bead head Walt's Worm.

I was very pumped as the first fish was a healthy little rainbow. No worse for ware than the day he was stocked.

The next fish was a chunky little brookie who also hammered the "peeping caddis". You can see how deep he ate the fly. This is a size 10 anchor pattern.

I had hit up a holding lie at the rear of the pool, and rolled a really nice rainbow. I was thinking that it would be cool to catch all three species on my first outing of 2014. Just then I watched my leader zip upstream, and set the hook on a nice brown. The fish was a gorgeous torpedo that shot out of the water 4-5 times. I ended up losing him, as I always seem to have issues with acrobatic trout, and barbless hooks. He was about 11" to a foot long. Huge fins and bright colors. I am inclined to think this was a wild or older hold over fish.

I switched up my first fly to a "hot headed" Walt's worm, and decided to put on an indicator for a bit. I was drifting the main feeding lie with no success, so I switched to the holding lie at the back of the pool. The indicator barely moved and I set the hook thinking it was just a rock. Was surprised to see another chunky brookie flash and fight.

I decided I would switch it up a bit and throw a black bugger. I stayed at the holding lie, and enjoyed watching trout come from all over to swing at the fly. I forgot how hard they hit buggers, and snapped one off with my older line and a quick hook set. I felt bad for the trout as he was trying rigorously to get the bugger out of his mouth. Being barbless, he should end up ok.

A great "first day" of trout, and a great way to start the season. I have a really hectic schedule so this may be one of the few times I get out for trout this year. I will be going insane for gobblers very shortly, but always enjoy a few hours out with my flies. I was very happy to know that at least there were 7-8 trout that made it. I had not hit on any of the larger fish that typically winter in this stretch of stream. I was expecting very skiny, and tired sluggish fish. Boy was I wrong. It amazes me that they can hold their own, even with 8-12" of ice on the stream.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: "Peeping caddis" worked well

here is the pattern. A little bit different than some but has components of the standard peeping or peeking caddis.

size 10 streamer hook
1/8" tung bead
dyed squirrel dubbing
gold rib
chartrues ultra chennill for "peeping part"
Hungarian partridge soft hackel for the "sticks"

super easy to tied, and very effective for an anchor fly. Will be tying these bad boys up in a bunch of sizes, and colors. The black was the ticket yesterday.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 PM

Very nice Mike, thanks for sharing can not wait to get on the water!!

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:49 PM

Nice flies Mike! I tried tying one last night sans the bead head. I may have gone a little strong in my strands of tail but I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend. Mated to the new Echo Carbon 663 I just picked up tonight. It's a beautiful rod for the price and it definitely casts phenomenally!

Only the owners of a GSP would truly understand, "If I fits, I sits".
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
The Man

if you want any tips on that pattern let me know. On these instead of wrapping the soft hackle I just snipped a few strands off and placed them around the hook. My uncle uses regular grey squirrel dubbing and holo tinsel for the rib. He ties his in 12-14 though and uses a gold bead head. There are tons of variations of this pattern out there. Some even use small stone looking objects to be glued to the shank to look like the case. Hare dubbing would look great as well.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:58 PM

Mike,
I might get at you tonight. My buddy and I will be sitting down to whip up a few for the weekend.

Only the owners of a GSP would truly understand, "If I fits, I sits".
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 AM
Part of the Community

Have you tried these in smaller sizes like a #16?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

you can tie them in a smaller size if you want...there are all sizes in the creek at a giving time
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackone
you can tie them in a smaller size if you want...there are all sizes in the creek at a giving time
Right on.

I think you would have to change up the "worm" part if you go smaller than a 12. there are many materials that would work for this. Polypropolene is a good one. Basically anything that can be, green, white, or cream would do the trick. I like the chartreuse green, and use this as an attractor pattern as well.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

alot of the cases are a cone shape...you can take like a size 14 2xl and wrap some .025 lead wire on it then take ur pliers and shape the lead into a square...then for there u can create a tapered body, use pheasant tail for the case and some small wire to help secure it, wrap the pheasant tail about 3/4 up the hook shank then just take a little bit of caddis dub and create the body and then black dub to create the head and ur done a very simple case caddis that will catch alot of fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page