Need help... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Need help...

I have never fly fished before always used spinning rods, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a fly rod to buy as a started rod and what flys to use this time of year. I am totally new to this so any info would help.. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:01 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Need help...

I'd go with a 9' 4wt or 5wt. Cabelas three forks really are decent for the money, I've had a few. I've heard good things about the Redington starter combos as well.

I'd keep it simple to start. Swing some wooly buggers and pick up a few basic nymphs. Pheasant tail nymphs, hares ears, stuff like that.

Be patient and work on your skills. Learn to nymph fish and as the water warms up and spring comes around you will be able to get into some good dry fly fishing.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 02:44 PM

You should be able to find a nice beginner setup under $150. Get some basic patterns and get out there and fish. My first few years were slow, but I always got a few. If you want to get good at it you have to be willing to leave the spinning gear at home and just fly fish.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

I really like the Eagle Claw Black Eagle 8'6" at Wal Mart. cheap @ -/+ 20 bucks but it fishes pretty good for the money.

Dont knock it till you've tried it
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM
The Man

You need to find a mentor. Someone to show you the ropes, get you started. Someone local. Check with local fly shops, local TU chapters, see if they have anything going. Sometimes they have fly tying, fly casting lessons, etc.

And just check around and see if there is a relative, family friend, neighbor, etc. who flyfishes and would be willing to show you the basics.

It's not so easy to learn just on your own. If you have someone show you the basics, you can pick things up far more quickly.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert
You need to find a mentor. Someone to show you the ropes, get you started. Someone local. Check with local fly shops, local TU chapters, see if they have anything going. Sometimes they have fly tying, fly casting lessons, etc.
If you're near First Fork Trout Club, join, then ask those fly fishers some questions. They'll probably show you right there and may even offer to take you.... Look up fly fishing for beginners on YouTube to better understand what you're supposed to do even if you can't master anything at first! At the very least, you won't be alien to everything they talk to you about the sport.

Your next step, as others have said, is to put the spinning rod away and fly fish the whole year. It's easy for us to go back to what we're comfortable with, but self defeating.....

Canefly

Do good and disappear........

I stayed up all night to prove to myself I don't snore.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks everyone I actually have a buddy who fly fishes I just don't see him ever often.. So are there flies common to PA that I would want to definitely buy??
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Caddis, hare's ear, pheasant tails, prince, stone fly, san juan worm, egg patterns, green weenie, wooly bugger, copper john, Adams dry, elk hair caddis dry, royal wolf dry, stimulator dry, cahill dry, sulphur dry, black ant dry, foam beetle dry, blue wing olive dry, Griffith gnat dry. Should cover about every pattern you need. if you cant catch fish on those, then it's time to go home.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash Co_Archer
Caddis, hare's ear, pheasant tails, prince, stone fly, san juan worm, egg patterns, green weenie, wooly bugger, copper john, Adams dry, elk hair caddis dry, royal wolf dry, stimulator dry, cahill dry, sulphur dry, black ant dry, foam beetle dry, blue wing olive dry, Griffith gnat dry. Should cover about every pattern you need. if you cant catch fish on those, then it's time to go home.
At this time of year, as stated above, you'll be fishing Black Stonefly, Pheasant Tail, Hare's Ear & Prince nymphs along with egg patterns and s. j. worms with small split shot to help get the fly down near or at the bottom to where the fish lie in very cold water... Too early at this time to fish dries mentioned but excellent choices for going into April, May, June & July. Ants, beetles, grasshopper & cricket patterns will work all summer into the fall when most fly hatches have finished.

Generally, think of the darkest flies (mayflies, caddis & stoneflies) hatching first toward the lightest colored flies last as you progress through the year's cycle. There are exceptions, so consult a local fly shop, book of hatch cycles, etc....

Canefly

Do good and disappear........

I stayed up all night to prove to myself I don't snore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page