Cabin Fever 20 Questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Cabin Fever 20 Questions

I am suffering a severe case of cabin fever and I have been planning an early April trip trying to decide a destination, which has caused some thinking out loud. Thought this might be fun: ONLY ONE ANSWER PER QUESTION!

#1 What's your favorite PA stream to fly fish?

#2 What's your favorite non-PA stream to fly fish?

#3 What's your absolute favorite fly to catch a trout on?

#4 If you could only fish one fly the rest of your life which one would it be?

#5 What stream have you not yet fished in PA that you really want to?

#6 What fly have you never caught a trout on that you really want to?

#7 If you could not fish for trout for a whole year, what other single species of fish would you target with the fly rod?

#8 One trip, One week, any where in the world, where do you go?

#9 What is your favorite hatch and on what stream?

#10 If you could fly fish with anyone for one day, who is it?

#11 If the state decided to eradicate Brown and Rainbow Trout in an attempt to reintroduce/enhance Native Brook Trout, would you be on board with it?

#12 You hike 5 miles back in a remote area and the pool you come too is boiling with rising trout, you are the only one there and you KNOW you have the right flies, but you realize you left your license in the vehicle, what do you do?

#13 Evening is just beginning and you get a text from a wife/kid/parent/etc... saying they would like you to come home, but no other explanation, do you leave or pretend you didn't have service?

#14 You are fishing a good size stream and you notice tubes and rafts heading your way full of sorority girls, do you ask them to go around or just let them float on by? (that HAS happened to me!)

#15 You and another angler arrive at the same spot at the same time, what do you do?

#16 Mother nature calls and you don't have any TP, sacrifice the socks, shirt sleeves, or use leaves?

#17 In the heat of a great rise, you accidentally hook your fishing buddy bad, like need a doctor bad, what do you do?

#18 What's the biggest lie you have told another angler on the stream?

#19 What's the biggest lie you have told your wife/parents/kids/etc... when you got home?

#20 24" Brown Trout, 28" Rainbow, 32" Palomino, or a 16" native?

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: Cabin Fever 20 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by grousedog20
I am suffering a severe case of cabin fever and I have been planning an early April trip trying to decide a destination, which has caused some thinking out loud. Thought this might be fun: ONLY ONE ANSWER PER QUESTION!

#1 What's your favorite PA stream to fly fish? Penns Creek

#2 What's your favorite non-PA stream to fly fish? Big Hunting Creek, MD

#3 What's your absolute favorite fly to catch a trout on? Beetle

#4 If you could only fish one fly the rest of your life which one would it be? BH Pheasant Tail

#5 What stream have you not yet fished in PA that you really want to? Letort

#6 What fly have you never caught a trout on that you really want to? Mouse

#7 If you could not fish for trout for a whole year, what other single species of fish would you target with the fly rod? Smallmouth Bass

#8 One trip, One week, any where in the world, where do you go? Kamchatka, Russia

#9 What is your favorite hatch and on what stream? Despite the circus, Green Drake, Penns

#10 If you could fly fish with anyone for one day, who is it? My Pap, passed away not long ago

#11 If the state decided to eradicate Brown and Rainbow Trout in an attempt to reintroduce/enhance Native Brook Trout, would you be on board with it? I wish the answer was yes, but probably not

#12 You hike 5 miles back in a remote area and the pool you come too is boiling with rising trout, you are the only one there and you KNOW you have the right flies, but you realize you left your license in the vehicle, what do you do? OMG, I wonder where it could be officer

#13 Evening is just beginning and you get a text from a wife/kid/parent/etc... saying they would like you to come home, but no other explanation, do you leave or pretend you didn't have service? I JUST NOW got your message, so sorry, is everything OK?

#14 You are fishing a good size stream and you notice tubes and rafts heading your way full of sorority girls, do you ask them to go around or just let them float on by? (that HAS happened to me) Wait until they are in front of me and then yell "SNAKE"

#15 You and another angler arrive at the same spot at the same time, what do you do? "What a great night, hey did you hear about that guy that was attacked by a bear here last night?"

#16 Mother nature calls and you don't have any TP, sacrifice the socks, shirt sleeves, or use leaves? Socks

#17 In the heat of a great rise, you accidentally hook your fishing buddy bad, like need a doctor bad, what do you do? Here's a beer, hold still.

#18 What's the biggest lie you have told another angler on the stream? "Just a few"

#19 What's the biggest lie you have told your wife/parents/kids/etc... when you got home? No, I didn't get your text

#20 24" Brown Trout, 28" Rainbow, 32" Palomino, or a 16" native? Push, but I guess the native

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

Okay,
I'll go first, but please nobody bash me for my preferences! lol

1) Little J.

2) Big Hole

3) Yellow Humpy

4) Flashback Hare's Ear

5) Little Sandy

6) Mickey Finn

7) Blue Fin Tuna

8) New Zealand

9) Sulphurs, Little J.

10) Troy Polamalu

11) NO!!!!!

12) Fish my heart out!!!

13) Neither, they get a return text asking IF it's an emergency!

14) I'd let them float. That breaks the monotony of the day!! ROFL

15) Chat, take my time getting geared up as a gentleman would do...

16) Elephant leaves.

17) He won't bleed to death from a fly.

18) None. Don't have to, even when getting skunked.

19) How much I missed my wife!!! haha

20) 16" Native, by far!

Do good and disappear........

I stayed up all night to prove to myself I don't snore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:

A small class a in Ncpa that I won't mention here.

Salmon river was fun.

Parachute minks ear.

Wooly bugger but I wouldn't like it.

Penns

Mouse

#7 If you could not fish for trout for a whole year, what other single species of fish would you target with the fly rod?

Smb

Tai men, mongolia

Caddis on oil creek.

Gramma

#11 If the state decided to eradicate Brown and Rainbow Trout in an attempt to reintroduce/enhance Native Brook Trout, would you be on board with it?

On reproduction streams, yes. Statewide, no.

#12 You hike 5 miles back in a remote area and the pool you come too is boiling with rising trout, you are the only one there and you KNOW you have the right flies, but you realize you left your license in the vehicle, what do you do?

I always have a spare in my wallet.

#13 Evening is just beginning and you get a text from a wife/kid/parent/etc... saying they would like you to come home, but no other explanation, do you leave or pretend you didn't have service?

If my wife calls like that, I'm probably heading home, cause that never happens.

#14 You are fishing a good size stream and you notice tubes and rafts heading your way full of sorority girls, do you ask them to go around or just let them float on by? (that HAS happened to me!).

Lettum float.

#15 You and another angler arrive at the same spot at the same time, what do you do?

Ask him where he plans to go and fish elsewhere.

#16 Mother nature calls and you don't have any TP, sacrifice the socks, shirt sleeves, or use leaves?

Leaves, until the dcnr starts charging for them.

#17 In the heat of a great rise, you accidentally hook your fishing buddy bad, like need a doctor bad, what do you do?

With a dry fly doctor bad could only be in the eye. He would need me to drive. Otherwise I would offer to remove it for him.

Nothing biting.

#19 What's the biggest lie you have told your wife/parents/kids/etc... when you got home?

I wish I would have stayed home and got some work done.

16" native every time.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Part of the Community

1 Penns Creek
2 Neversink
3 Rusty Spinner
4 Pheasant tail
5 Letort
6 Harvey Pusher
7 Smallies no doubt
8 Mongolia
9 Drakes on the Beaverkill
10 Very good friend of mine who moved away
11 No
12 I'm fishing. Wish the answer was no.
13 No service
14 Let them float.
15 Go separate ways
16 Under shirt. Done it.
17 Leave
18 A few
19 No service
20 16'' Native
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:

A Class A I won't mention

Don't know, never ff outside of pa yet

Anything I tie, which is all of them. I like to catch them on big floaters like humpys etc.

GRHE

Penns Creek

Wooly bugger actually, I have never even tied one on.

Probably nothing, I hunt big time. And ff trout is the only type of fishing i care about anymore

Somewhere to catch monster wild browns

Honestly, The streams local to me suck so bad that there aren't really many hatches atleast ones that compare to what I have heard of. I guess caddis on neshannok was good a couple times

A buddy of mine, he is an absolute riot to fish with. Type of guy that makes you laugh historically the entire time. Problem is he is lousy at fly fishing and doesn't care to try to do it anymore.

Yes, Where Im at with fishing in my life I could care less about catching a stocked trout that can't survive where they dump then in for more than a month anyhow.

This is gods country, cast in and wouldn't think twice.

Find out if its important, if it is leave. they are just fish

#14 You are fishing a good size stream and you notice tubes and rafts heading your way full of sorority girls, do you ask them to go around or just let them float on by? (that HAS happened to me!)
Probably panic and pull my hat way down over my eyes and avoid eye contact with them as they floated by. I get nervous in situations like that lol

Leave, I don't like to fish with other people I don't know

Rip something off my clothing of some sort.

Get him to a doctor

#18 What's the biggest lie you have told another angler on the stream? Never fished here before, or its way better down there…sending them somewhere that is terrible.

We were catching them so good we lost track of time… on days when you never got a bite and you keep looking at your cell phone thinking "I have to get at least one hook up before I leave, I can figure them out"

Probably the Native, if the brown was wild then the BROWN for shizzle.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

#1 What's your favorite PA stream to fly fish? <span style="font-weight: bold">Lehigh River</span>

#2 What's your favorite non-PA stream to fly fish? <span style="font-weight: bold">Upper Connecticut River</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Slate Drake deer hair emerger fished on top</span>

#4 If you could only fish one fly the rest of your life which one would it be?<span style="font-weight: bold"> Black Woolly Bugger</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Penns Creek</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mouse pattern</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Smallmouth bass</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Alaska</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Isonychias on the Brodhead</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Joe Humphries (Paul Maclean too, but he's deceased)</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Statewide?- No</span>

#12 You hike 5 miles back in a remote area and the pool you come too is boiling with rising trout, you are the only one there and you KNOW you have the right flies, but you realize you left your license in the vehicle, what do you do? <span style="font-weight: bold">I'd fish it, it's not like I don't have a license at all.</span>

#13 Evening is just beginning and you get a text from a wife/kid/parent/etc... saying they would like you to come home, but no other explanation, do you leave or pretend you didn't have service? <span style="font-weight: bold">I'd come home but I'd be upset if it wasn't an emergency or something immediately important.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'd just enjoy the sight as they floated by (it's happened to me too).</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'd give the other angler the spot, I'm not an I can only catch fish from one pool on a river guy.</span>

#16 Mother nature calls and you don't have any TP, sacrifice the socks, shirt sleeves, or use leaves? <span style="font-weight: bold">There's another solution and I've done it.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Wish him luck, tie on a new fly and keep fishing. No, seriously I'd get him to a doctor.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">That I didn't catch any fish on a particular stretch</span>

#19 What's the biggest lie you have told your wife/parents/kids/etc... when you got home? <span style="font-weight: bold">I explained I was late because I had car trouble when I had actually been fishing a fantastic hatch.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'd probl take the 28" 'bow if it's wild.</span>

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 12:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:

#1 What's your favorite PA stream to fly fish? It's a toss up between Penns and the fly stretch on White Deer.

#2 What's your favorite non-PA stream to fly fish? Never fly-fished out of state.

#3 What's your absolute favorite fly to catch a trout on? The one that works that day.

#4 If you could only fish one fly the rest of your life which one would it be? The one that works EVERY day!

#5 What stream have you not yet fished in PA that you really want to? Since my fishing is so hit and miss during the year I really have no preferences or favorites.

#6 What fly have you never caught a trout on that you really want to? One of my brother's concocted cicadas

#7 If you could not fish for trout for a whole year, what other single species of fish would you target with the fly rod? I'd probably hop farm ponds for pan fish and largemouths or creeks and rivers for smallies

#8 One trip, One week, any where in the world, where do you go? Not really fly fishing related, but I would head for Canada like we did when I was younger. Nothing like hauling in a few 25+ inch northerns or a couple hundred perch.

#9 What is your favorite hatch and on what stream? I have only hit the green drake hatch on Penns once, but it was pretty sweet so that's my choice.

#10 If you could fly fish with anyone for one day, who is it? I have had so many memorable experiences with my brother that I could not imagine fly fishing with anyone else.

#11 If the state decided to eradicate Brown and Rainbow Trout in an attempt to reintroduce/enhance Native Brook Trout, would you be on board with it? I would love to say yes, but I would miss the aggressiveness of a good brown.

#12 You hike 5 miles back in a remote area and the pool you come too is boiling with rising trout, you are the only one there and you KNOW you have the right flies, but you realize you left your license in the vehicle, what do you do? My license is saved to my phone as an image file. If I would get stopped I would show them that and my ID and if they still insisted on seeing the real thing I would walk them back to my vehicle. Except it would be about a 7 to 10 mile walk on the way back!

#13 Evening is just beginning and you get a text from a wife/kid/parent/etc... saying they would like you to come home, but no other explanation, do you leave or pretend you didn't have service? I would leave. Family comes before fish.

#14 You are fishing a good size stream and you notice tubes and rafts heading your way full of sorority girls, do you ask them to go around or just let them float on by? (that HAS happened to me!) I wonder how long I can lay on the bottom and hold my breath...

#15 You and another angler arrive at the same spot at the same time, what do you do? Fish away. If it's not the first day, there is usually more than enough room to be sportsmen about it.

#16 Mother nature calls and you don't have any TP, sacrifice the socks, shirt sleeves, or use leaves? Socks.

#17 In the heat of a great rise, you accidentally hook your fishing buddy bad, like need a doctor bad, what do you do? Cut the line, re-tie, and hope he has a lot of bandaids or didn't have to use his socks for question #16.

#18 What's the biggest lie you have told another angler on the stream? Does telling stories about being in the Outdoor Channel, being chopter in for the opening day of trout, pretending to be a brain surgeon giving directions on a surgery over the phone while waiting for 8am, count?

#19 What's the biggest lie you have told your wife/parents/kids/etc... when you got home? I caught more fish than my brother!

#20 24" Brown Trout, 28" Rainbow, 32" Palomino, or a 16" native? 24" brown on Penns.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:17 PM

1. Stoneycreek. Great browns, brooks, and rainbows

2. Never fished a stream out of PA

3. Parachute sulphur (Stoneycreek best!)

4. I wouldn't pick. I would sit on my rocking chair and cry

5. the Youghiogheny

6. Not sure I understand this question.. a fish is a fish to me!

7. Bass. Lots of fun, big leaps for poppers

8. Mongolia

9. Didn't I say that with my favorite fly? lol Sulphurs on the Stoney

10. My dad

11. Heck. No. Love wild trout, but I know plenty of native brook streams with zero other species. Just leave the browns and rainbows alone!

12. I fish. Heck, I know I have a license. And if that fish warden comes by, he can check my driver's license. If he makes a big deal about it, I'll walk back and SHOW him my license

13. Go home. My wife is still more important than a trout.. by the way, why wouldn't I just call her and find out what was wrong??

14. Let them float. They really don't mess up the water that much for that long (trust me I've had it happen too) and it gives me a few minutes to look at something besides water

15. I talk to him, ask him where he wants to fish, and try to be fair about water usage. However, if he starts being a jerk, well it's whoever gets there first at that point. I can be nice, but I can be mean too

16. Depends on how nasty it is, but usually leaves.

17. How do you hook someone "need a doctor IMMEDIATELY" bad?? Through the eye maybe... in the eye, doctor time. Anywhere else, suck it up and put some water on it

18. I try not to lie to other fishermen (seriously!) but I have told people that I didn't catch anything after having a great day (I don't do that very often, unless the guy is being a jerk. See #15 above)

19. Again, I don't lie about fishing. If I catch something, I tell them so. If I didn't, I still had fun and I tell them that too. Usually my wife is with me anyway. She's my fly fishin buddy most days

20. Torn between the native and the brown (I caught one 24" brown in my life, and one 12" native, so they are both exciting!)

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 PM

Hey Nick, did you get the Mongolia idea from River Monsters??? Let's go together lol I honestly did NOT read your post until AFTER I posted mine

Edit: Run2Catch, you can come too!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page