Canada, Charelston lake. Pike fishing help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Canada, Charelston lake. Pike fishing help

Heading up there for a week in October with family, kinda for old times sake of trip. Can anyone give me any info or tips on fishing for pike?

Fished there many times before but it was many years ago, I was young fishing with my grandfather and we were fishing for lake trout because that's all he fished for. Also I fish occasionally around here and at and around my cabin in Pike county but that is just out fishing with our kids for whatever bites. I have a 14' Grumman with a 20hp and an electric motor plus gear and tackle. I have some big spoons, husky jerks and big mepps spinners. I'm thinking using the mentioned lures for casting around and maybe a little trolling. If we do troll I'm thinking about making passes back and forth in and around cove openings. Am I on the right track?

I fish but would not call myself a fisherman so any info on how and where to try for pike would be greatly appreciated.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM

Re: Canada, Charelston lake. Pike fishing help

I would look for flat shoals around 8-10ft that border deeper water drop offs. That's what we do in the summer months, so I'm not sure if it changes in the Fall.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Part of the Community

They should have lowered the water levels by October.If the lake is down a little I think the grass beds close to deep water should key spots.Larger size minnow type plugs like rebels and rapalas, and spinnebaits would be hard to beat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 11:08 PM
The Man

Take 2 big jointed Rapalas. One in black/silver and one in chartreuse/silver.

Take a good sized red & white Daredevle spoon.

Take a Johnson Silver Doctor spoon.

Take a Creek Chub Pikie jointed minnow.

If you don't catch pike on one or all of them you're in the wrong lake.

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the info guys.

I have 6" and 9" leaders....are 6" ok to use?

Here are my bigger lures.

Here are a few of my pap's old lures he used for lake trout, he called them Christmas trees. I remember caching a few pike once in a while with them while fishing the deep waters for lake trout. Anyone know if these would be good to use in shallower waters for pike?
They say Luhr Jensen on them.

They are about 4' long and my pap would add about another foot of line with a treble and minnow.
Could I just add a leader and lure at the end?

Thanks again for any more info or tips.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 AM
The Man

Tracker, looks like you have a good start right there. The red and white daredevils and the firetiger stick baits are favorites. I also like the "five of diamonds" by daredevil. A weedless lure or two wouldn't hurt - daredevils, or a Johnsons silver minnow. Some plastic swil baits may work as well. You may want to throw in a bottom bouncer or two if you are in any current/troll. With the temps dropping, you gotta figure the pike are putting on the feed bag for a long winter. Rocks, weedlines and such.

I was just checking the place out on the web. It's 450' deep in some spots! Where will you stay?

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

pike are very aggressive fish and when in the mood, will eat anything you put infront of them. but like any fish there are times the bite is slow, those are the times you need to be experimenting to find what they will eat. when the bite is hot i like to use baits that are easy to use and easy to get out of the fish. that means single hook baits, easy to cast. spinnerbaits in the 3/4 to 1 oz range, buzzbaits same weight, mepps giant killers, spoons like the dardevel, Dr. spoon, johnson, KO wobler, ( i like bigger spoons than what you have, 3 - 4 in long at least) and swimbaits http://berkley-fishing.com/products/soft-bait/powerbait/split-belly-swimbait. use enough of a jig head to get the swimbait down 2 - 4 ft for shallow fishing (about 1/2 oz), and 3/4 tp 1 oz fpr deeper areas. colors depend on brightness of the time, basisa are white, yellow, black, chartreus, oragnge, blue. blades on spinner type lures should be in silver, gold and copper. i like to use titanium or flexsteel leaders, they are very flexable and do not kink easily. if a leader kinks, get rid of it, it will break at that spot. out of all this my favorite way to fish for pike is with the buzzbait. i love to watch them expode on it. next is the swimbaits and spinnerbait, then the spoons. you can use your other topwaters you have but they take a bit more effort to fish than the buzzbait, but can be just as effective. when things are slow, slow down the presentation to entice more bites. go lighter with the jig head for the swimbait, use the topwater lures and just slowly twitch it over the weed beds or go heavier with the jig head and go deeper, use your hard minnow baits like the rapalas and slow retrieve or stop and go retieve them.

don't be afraid to use bigger baits, bigger fish are fattening up for the winter and will eat fish 12" long with ease. i have had 30" pike eat 15" walleye i was reeling in.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/2013/09/...ke-giant-pike/
http://outdoornews.poorfish.com/2011...g-in-fall.aspx

RIZ
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My first trip to Ontario [Red Horse Lake] I was around 11 and was amazed to watch my Pappy re-rig everything w/ steel leaders. His minimum was 12".

Our trolling rigs had 36" leaders he made w/ stuff from Herters [he had been fishing there since the mid 40's].

I still have an assortment of his bid dare devil and ruby eye GLH spoons w/ one size larger hooks added and the split rings soudered shut...

We would troll w/ the 2.5hp along the edges of shallow and weedy areas. a 7# or 8# pike is a battle!

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks again guys for the excellent info!

Eddie,
My grandfather was going up there for many many years and made a lot of Canadian friends. One of his close friends sons bought a few cabins and a little store/marina. We are staying in one of their cabins. I have never been to their cabins but my dad has and said they are real nice and the one we are staying in is out on the tip of a point (blue pin in pictures).

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wis bang,
I see Red Horse lake is just to the west of Charelston lake.
I wonder if our grandfathers ever crossed paths up there. My grandfather lived in Wind Gap most of his 97 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page