How much weight to get worm harness down? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

How much weight to get worm harness down?

Lifelong avid fisherman, but new walleye fisherman here. Went out to Lake Arthur yesterday evening to try trolling worm harnesses. I am using baitcasters with 15lb mono, 6lb leader with harness. At the swivel I have a bullet weight and two 1/4 oz egg sinkers, probably 5/8 oz total lead. At one point I was in 13' of water, and they were not hitting the bottom. I think I need them to be deeper. I was trolling with my bow mount trolling motor, need to get a plate for my 9.9 to slow the boat down. I also need to get a speed sensor so I know how fast I am trolling. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I got two small wipers and a crappie while trolling. Actually caught a 20" walleye on a Bomber crankbait (2nd cast) just taking a few casts before trolling. Crazy thing is a week ago I was there and did the exact same thing, 21" 3.5# walleye on my Bomber crankbait on the 2nd cast!! Guess I should just go take 2 casts and go home?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: How much weight to get worm harness down?

Grab some bottom bouncers and use those. You only want to feel bottom once in a while. pay attention to your depth finder and stay right off the bottom. Lots of info if you do a search "bottom bouncers for walleye"

V10 advocate
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 PM
The Man

+1 on the bottom bouncers.

Experiment between 1 oz. and 1 1/2 oz. bouncers. A 1 1/2 oz. bottom walker will work down to about 25 feet if you can keep your speed down (.5 - .75 mph).

Also consider going to a smaller diameter line. Smaller line gets you down better and farther. I use Stren braid. Gets down really well and is super sensitive for feeling the bottom and them 'eyes when all they want to do is peck at the bait.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you would like to slow the boat down, try trolling backwards.

Back-trolling is a popular walleye method.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM

Speed and line out are the 2 most critical factors when determining how much weight you will need to get to a particular depth. Since you don't have a speed sensor and since I am assuming you don't have line counters, experimenting with bottom bouncers or Lindy sinkers in the 1-2 ounce range should do the trick like mentioned above.

A fixed position weight like a bottom bouncer, inline weight, or snap weight will be much more effective at controlling depth than a sliding sinker will be.

One other thing to consider is that the blade style on your harness can also influence trolling depth. A large colorado blade will generate quite a bit of lift and ride higher in the water compared to a willow blade.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks all. This is all great information, and stuff I did not know. I did notice the large Colorado blade really produced a lot of resistance. Will definitely switch line and look into bottom bouncers. I grilled that walleye last night, and it was amazing!! Definitely need more walleye. Planning to fish Moraine and Pymatuning on a regular basis.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

you can also troll that bomber crankbait. but with worm harnesses you want to go sloooowwww. i am willing to bet you were going too fast with that rig you had on. switch colors, blade types ( colorado, indiana, willow leaf) and as you said, change your line, 15lb P-line braid or 8 lb fluoro would be much better. power pro line is another good option for line

RIZ
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Part of the Community

I fish the western basin of lake erie and use the RedNek outfitters inline weights. I use 1,2 and 3oz. Mostly use 1 and 2 oz. Here is a link to the line out/depth. We use church boards to get the harness away from the boat and troll mostly between 1.4 and 2.5. Run the 1oz farthest ouside and 2oz. close to the boat (deeper lines closer to the boat reduces hooking the inside line when bringing a fish in on the outside board.
http://rednekoutfitters.com/inline_t...ght_chart.html

ski
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 06:49 PM

All relative to depth of fish. Last season, we were hitting them in 6' of water. No weight needed. Just a slow troll.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Part of the Community

true, very true. If your fishing in 6 ft of water very little weight if none.
ski

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page