Upper/Middle Delaware River Walleye - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Upper/Middle Delaware River Walleye

I have been trying to figure out how to catch river walleyes. I have taken a couple trips to Dingmans Ferry without even getting a bite. I've been using fatheads on a jighead, jigs, crawlers and stick baits. I think my problem is figuring out where the walleye are hanging out in the moving water.

Anybody willing to give me some pointers? How deep? Eddies and slow water right? Are there better places to try than Dingmans?

I have been fishing with a small boat with a standard outboard. I was running too fast and hit rocks with my motor and broke my skeg off. I have been reluctant to explore too far from the bridge as a result.

Thank you for any pointers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Upper/Middle Delaware River Walleye

Never fished the Delaware, but maybe try some bigger minnows like wild caught creek chubs or shiners. If none of those are available, the bigger store shiners would be a better choice than the fatheads; although fatheads tipped on gulp or twisters work fine once you've located fish. The big chubs are just a much better search option, plus if you have someone new to walleyes with you it will prolong the hold time significantly until they get used to the strikes.

Deep water is definitely worth looking for, but this time of year the fish are on the move or at their spawning locations. I'd suggest finding fishable areas in or near creek mouths. Fish will often hold on the current seam or in the current outside of an eddy, so make sure you fish more than the slower inner eddy stuff near the shore. At night the bite will often move shallower and in towards shore.

Good luck!

There is always a season!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
The Man

Try the area around Bulls Island, Treasure Island or Scudderís Falls. I usually fish holes, bridge pilings and walls.

There were two ramps at Bulls Island. One above the wing dam and one below. There is a fee for Bulls Island. The ramps in PA are free.

Walleye are not abundant in the area but can be found. The few I have caught have been caught while fishing for bass or shad.

BTW subscribe to Brinkman's newsletter. Guys post info and you can get an idea what others are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
The Man

Try this site. You may have to look at the older newsletters to get river walleye info.

http://brinkmansbaitandtackle.com/reports.htm
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks guys
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bump

If anyone is interested in meeting up to fish, let me know. I am a dedicated fisherman and hunter that is sociable but most of my friends are city folk that aren't too interested in hooking fish or shooting birds. If anyone fishes the area and wants company, let me know.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 AM
The Man

Springer Rage

This is from Bill Brinkman's latest report:

"The upper river has still been a mixed bag. One person hit it hard this past week was Tom. He fought out the winds and ended up catching 9 walleyes and 4 smallmouth bass. He did his best below Bull's Island but also fished down as far as Washington's Crossing. He caught most of the fish trolling wally divers, Rapala's, Rebels and yozuri crankbaits. He said over all most of the fish were small but he did have 3 keepers 19 to 22 inches. He also seen one other fisherman catch 2 walleyes with live minnows but had to throw both of these fish back. Charlie headed down to the river late Tuesday afternoon. He said the winds were so bad he only fished 2 hours and he did not have a single hit. He had one afternoon for smallmouth bass up the Tohickon Creek and he picked up 2 small bass and a bluegills. There were a couple other guys out but all said they had nothing."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

springer,if you fish bulls island,use the lower ramp.there is about a mile or so of deep water downriver of the ramp.stay on the pa. side and you will have deep water.i don't think there is a fee until memorial day.p.m.me with your info maybe we can get out soon.i'm trying to get out for some shad fishing next week.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Dogface and hoots: I really appreciate the info. I am new to the river Nd have never fished Bulls Island. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks again.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 01:52 PM
New Arrival

I have been pursuing walleye in the northern part of the Delaware River for the past two years and I have been documenting my successes and failures on my blog.

www.sussexcountyfisherman.blogspot.com

In short, I like down-rigging with bottom bouncers, trying to target depths of 16 to 20 feet. I have also found success (in my kayak) with my rod in the rod holder and paddling (movement), instead of drifting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page