Those who know me know that my true love is float fishing from my kayak.
Between work and family my days on the water have become very very limited. The kids are Ok for gills on the pond, and we do that often, but to young to include in my passion.
When the two or three days a year come that I am able to make a float with a few friends I have to make em count.
Well monday was one of those days. My one friend was off as was I and we both had a pass.
My wife thinks Im crazy when I get up at 4 or 5 AM to hunt and fish... but I was up at 5 to meet Jim at 0530. We loaded up the yaks and parked the drop vehicle. On the water by 0630.
It didnt take long to start banging the smallies, but I really needed something to take home and I'm not much for eating bass(more on that later)
A good friend of mine floats this section at least 15 times a year, so I always have updates on catch rates, species, and lures. The common standard is two to three dozen fish with 90% being smallies and the other 10% pike or walleye. Certain sections are notorious for yielding walleye if you match the lure.
When we got to one such section I went deep for the eyes with a 1/2 oz rattle trap.
At first I though I had a snagged a stick, then it started to move, I knew I had an eye. 18.5" and on the stringer, perfect eatn size. made 1 more passes through this section then switched to a hot n tot. Once again though I had snagged a stick, no fight at all for a few seconds. 1 more eye on the stringer, 18". I missed one more that followed the lure to the yak.
Wife was gonne be happy about this... she loves eating fresh fish, especially walleye. I had enough to make a meal for the family!
I always get hounded about "what did you catch?" Alot of bass.
"Why didnt you bring em home?" I lie and say to small.
Maybe one of these days I'll have a bass fry.
The kicker on this trip was the 2 for 1...
caught 2 smallies on the same lure...
1 on each treble
If I'm lucky I'll get to do a third float sometime in septmber!