Dinner - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Dinner

Those who know me know that my true love is float fishing from my kayak.
Between work and family my days on the water have become very very limited. The kids are Ok for gills on the pond, and we do that often, but to young to include in my passion.
When the two or three days a year come that I am able to make a float with a few friends I have to make em count.
Well monday was one of those days. My one friend was off as was I and we both had a pass.
My wife thinks Im crazy when I get up at 4 or 5 AM to hunt and fish... but I was up at 5 to meet Jim at 0530. We loaded up the yaks and parked the drop vehicle. On the water by 0630.
It didnt take long to start banging the smallies, but I really needed something to take home and I'm not much for eating bass(more on that later)
A good friend of mine floats this section at least 15 times a year, so I always have updates on catch rates, species, and lures. The common standard is two to three dozen fish with 90% being smallies and the other 10% pike or walleye. Certain sections are notorious for yielding walleye if you match the lure.
When we got to one such section I went deep for the eyes with a 1/2 oz rattle trap.
At first I though I had a snagged a stick, then it started to move, I knew I had an eye. 18.5" and on the stringer, perfect eatn size. made 1 more passes through this section then switched to a hot n tot. Once again though I had snagged a stick, no fight at all for a few seconds. 1 more eye on the stringer, 18". I missed one more that followed the lure to the yak.

Wife was gonne be happy about this... she loves eating fresh fish, especially walleye. I had enough to make a meal for the family!
I always get hounded about "what did you catch?" Alot of bass.
"Why didnt you bring em home?" I lie and say to small.

Maybe one of these days I'll have a bass fry.

The kicker on this trip was the 2 for 1...
caught 2 smallies on the same lure...
1 on each treble

If I'm lucky I'll get to do a third float sometime in septmber!

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Sage

Re: Dinner

Enjoyed report/pics!

Some mighty fine eatin there!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Nice report! Congrats on the double! Is that bass as humped as it looks?

There is always a season!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 PM
The Man

Nice work Steve!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 PM

Never Misses
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

fishdoc,
it actually was more humped than it looks in the pic. I put a post on another forum about it (fisherie SWPA)

20+ years and thousands of smallies C&R and never saw one humpbacked like that. I got alot of replies about humpback largemouth but no smallies.

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 PM

Nice post and story. Many that big smallie has some shoulders! I love to fish and waterfowl hunt from my kayaks. Have two kayak fishing buddies, but both have now moved away. Only get out solo now or when we have a sitter and the wife comes. But I'll agree it's not the same. The wife likes to fish for bluegills, and isn't into getting up at 4am and hiking in to a spot with the kayaks on carts.

Took her 1 time to a spot when my buddies still lived close. It's a little over a mile walk in from the closest parking area on game lands. This was our usual spot, she hated catching 4 and 5lb largemouth cause they pulled her kayak around too much. lol. I've caught 2 from that pond over the years that were over 7lbs.

Semper Fi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page