Muskie rod suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Muskie rod suggestions

Just wondering if anyone could help me out with what type of rod and line to use for muskie...I am new to it this year and have had a couple on but keep losing them...any suggestions on what type of rod and line would be greatly appreciated....

"You can't kill anything from your couch"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Muskie rod suggestions

So many choices for rods, and one of the best things about musky fishing is explaining to your wife why you need this rod for topwaters/bucktails, this rod for gliders, this one for mag dawgs, this one for trolling, etc, etc, etc., lol. If your looking at only one, you'll probably want to consider what you plan on throwing the most and go from there. I have a few Gander rods and a Bass-Pro rod that were reasonably priced and capable of handling a fairly wide range of lures. For length I'd recommend going as long as you can handle. I use mostly 7'6" and 8' rods, but sometimes wish I had a longer one. I know, don't we all!

As for line that is a bit easier to narrow down. Most guys go with braided lines in the 80-100lb range. The brand preferences vary, and I've changed mine a few times, so I won't bother with picking just one. It seems newer more durable lines come out yearly.

There is always a season!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I will most likely use top water and the big muskie spinner baits...like I said....I am new to this and have no idea what I am doing...I usually am shooting carp when I am "fishing"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Its hard to beat the 8'6" rod for bucktails. The length allows me to go deeper on the Figure 8 and keep the blades spinning. For glide baits and topwater walk the dog style baits I use a 7'6" rod. The shorter length is nice for snapping the WTD lures to produce better action. I live in Miff if you want to fish together. Im a newb but Im learning fast thanks to Doc.

Catch Photo Release
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
New Arrival

As fishdoc said, depends on baits and is very dependent on budget.

For an all purpose rod, check out Tackle Industries XH. They have telescoping rods if you have storage issues. These rods can throw many styles and weights of baits. ~$120. I like a 9' rod.

For a reel, round baitcaster capable of holding 100-150 yards of 80# braid (Abu 6000 series or Shimano 400 series). Lots of options and wide price range.

I would also plan to spend a bit on decent leaders. I like 100# Fluoro for most stuff.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for all the help guys...triplethreat sent you a pm

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

I use Black River rods. They have several differant lengths and actions to handle just about every application. They fish very similar and in my opinion better than st croix premiers. Fish doctor knows these rods well as he has used some of mine. They retail for around 100 bucks. We live close enough together that I can show you mine and let you throw them around a little. As for line, I have to agree with the doctor. The only thing I can add is to get quality line not some cheap nockoff stuff. You will also need good leaders, not the cheapies they sell at walmart. I wish you the best of luck in your quest for the mighty musky!

You can't get em from the couch.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I'll 2nd that HG. Leaders and Line aren't the place to go cheap! Spend a lot of time and money just to hook up, so don't ruin your day or the fish's with a cheap Walmart steel leader!

There is always a season!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks guys.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Regular Visitor

Go with the Bass Pro muskie rods (Quality IM-6 graphite rods for only $39). You can't go wrong with their Offshore Angle Gold Cup Series either. They can be purchased for anywhere from $60-$80.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page