Need some help from the Seasoned guys! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Need some help from the Seasoned guys!

Guys,
I got a fairly good place for Musky, but I need some advice for gettin my 9 year old his first fish. I don't get much time from work to get out with him, to just keep banging away. I have always had my luck in the spring and in the fall. Was wondering could someone message me with your tactics for summer Musky. I was talking to a old timer that suggested that I trap a couple suckers or Daces and rig them with a lip hook and a treble stinger, using wire.. He then suggested pullin them real slow over the weed beds under a small balloon. Now this cat has lot of fish under his belt. Right about now, I will try anything for this kid to catch his first musky.
Russ

Musty smellin Filson Chaps, a German Shorthair and a STEADY POINT! Till HE calls me home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Need some help from the Seasoned guys!

Funny. A guy asks for some help 98 views and not a one reply! Ya'll never stop amazin me. Guys hit me up about grouse hunting and I'm more than happy to reply to help out a fellow hunter. I want to hook my kid up and show him something different and no one can help. NICE!!!!

Musty smellin Filson Chaps, a German Shorthair and a STEADY POINT! Till HE calls me home.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

you stated you wanted help from the seasoned pros..........there isnt one seasoned pro that will recommend the use of live bait. There is a high mortality rate when using live bait. Secondly, you said something about weeds, are you fishing a lake? If so, thats another bad idea at this time of the year. Water temps are too high for lake fishing for muskies. I would recommend finding a trout stream that flows into a river system. the fish will usually stack up in that area. Artificial lures work just as well as live bait at this time of the year. Teach the young man how to use a glider bait, bucktail, and topwater (topraider) early and late in the day. There is nothing easy about musky fishing, the best way to catch one is pure persistence. Next, watch the moon phases, full and new moons tend to give up more fish for me. There are pros out there fishing the very best waters that go fishless for days/weeks. If you're looking to just get the kid on a "big fish", try taking him for flatheads.
Lastly, dont get bent out of shape, those 98 views could have been 98 walleye fisherman, or people just browsing. the internet has so much info out there, you dont need to ask people of huntingpa. go to google and type in summer time musky tatics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEADY POINT
Funny. A guy asks for some help 98 views and not a one reply! Ya'll never stop amazin me. Guys hit me up about grouse hunting and I'm more than happy to reply to help out a fellow hunter. I want to hook my kid up and show him something different and no one can help. NICE!!!!
Probably gonna get less and less advice with posts like that. not very patient are you. Just a note: look at the view to post ratio on all threads on here. At least 40/1. relax a little and from the looks of it you have just received some very sound advice.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

K, I said seasoned guy. Not pro. The info you provided was what I was looking for. I have some spots on rivers that have some nice head waters from trout streams. I am also well aware that there is no easy way to catch a musky. The kid has caught some big fish in his days, but wanted to go for muskies. As far as googlin the internet, I have done that and all the stuff I get is from the far north. I was more interested in the tactics guys were using here in PA... Thanks for the advice.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

@Hammerdown,
As far as my tone, don't know your background or job, but in my line of work, presure is the norm! I'm the kind of guy that loves to help out folks and doesn't ask for much my self. But when I finally put something out there without a response, kind of makes ya think about providing folks with any experience or knowledge. I do thank any for info. Oh as far as relaxing, walk my beat and talk to me about relaxing. That's why I try to fish as much as I can. Thanks.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Id also recommending joing www.mi50.com, you will have access to their message boards, lots of good info on there from guys that eat, breathe, and sleep musky. Not only will you be getting good info, but you would be supporting a fantastic cause!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

I tried to send you a PM yesterday but it said that you were over the storage limit or something. Figured enough people sent you PM's or something. Anyway, you might want to check that since you asked people to message you. Which was a good decision vs the main board by the way.

But since we are here, fallingflock's advice is good. You aren't going to get a lot of people jumping to post musky catching how 2's on the main board this time of year. Not because people don't want you to succeed in catching one, but because summer muskies are a very delicate topic, full of dissagreements, even amonst the seasoned musky guys. There are many heated arguments over when to fish and when to shut it down to protect the fish. I'd recommend reading some of the opinions out there on musky fishing in high water temps. Regardless of where anyone stands on the temperature thing, I think most musky guys would agree that there is an increased danger to the fish's safe release when temperatures are reaching summer levels. A lot of other things factor in, but a number you'll see thrown out a lot is 80F. I think most guys don't want to post info encouraging people to head out right now. We all know how "expert" we were when we handled our first musky. Odds are we did some things wrong. Too many pics, too long out of the water, mishandling, you name it is is more likely to happen when you first start out. This time a year, one misstep probably means a dead fish.

If you do decide to give it a go now, at a minimum please be carfeul with the fish in terms of fight length and time out of the water. Thanks!

There is always a season!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEADY POINT
@Hammerdown,
As far as my tone, don't know your background or job, but in my line of work, presure is the norm! I'm the kind of guy that loves to help out folks and doesn't ask for much my self. But when I finally put something out there without a response, kind of makes ya think about providing folks with any experience or knowledge. I do thank any for info. Oh as far as relaxing, walk my beat and talk to me about relaxing. That's why I try to fish as much as I can. Thanks.
I could care less what kind of work your in. I'm simply stating that you will get a lot more advice from strangers being a bit more delicate. You can take it for what it is worth but I know most would agree with me.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Sage

yeah...not unusual at all for a Thread question to get quite a few hits with no replies. Sometimes I just do a friendly refresh and that many a time stirs up the indians a lil. Just like being a good fisherman...it all involves a lil patience!

Best of luck to you & your Son. I'm not an avid muskie fisherman( did a lil years ago ) or i woulda chimed in earlier but i do enjoying reading folks Threads on various species albiet some of those hits may have come from Loggy.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page