porpoising musky - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
The Man

porpoising musky

Why do musky porpoise? and are the "catch-able" when doing so? While on a camping/fishing trip this weekend we saw 5 different musky swimming with their heads out of the water.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: porpoising musky

Probably checking how many fishermen there are close by, lol.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5crows
Probably checking how many fishermen there are close by, lol.
lol they didn't seem to care. you could get within casting distance of them. the kid bumped one right in the beak with a frog "r". not sure if it hit or if he just snagged it in the front of the mouth, as it went down right as the lure crossed in front of it. it was a perfect intersection. we got it right to the boat and the lure was right in the front f the mouth but i was more worried about how i was going to get him wrangled. got him in the net and the hooks tangled and away he went. (buying a bigger net!) the next one he cast to just slowly turned and swam to the side of the lure.
i'm not sure if they can be provoked into a bite in this state or not. i've not been able to even find any concrete answer as to what they are doing. all the ones we saw doing it were within 2 hours after dawn to an hour before dark.
you can't help but cast to them even if they don't seem like they want to bite. never hurts to try i guess.
one thing i do know from seeing them doing it is the areas i'm fishing are good spots! we saw one doing it 2 years ago near the same place we saw one last night and one this morning. and the one the kid had on and another one were within 150 yards of each other. Funny side note on that one. there was a couple guys we called the "musky hunters" who were trolling and casting big stuff all weekend. the first one we saw was cruising back and forth within about 10 yards of where there boat was tied. at first we thought it was a muskrat. when we realized what it was and started casting in that area, the "musky hunters" came down and got in the boat and went to the other side of the lake.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 AM

I have only seen this one time and I am not sure if it was a muskie or a pike. The fish was chasing a duckling and the duckling was so small it could not fly but ran along the water. The fish "porposed" 3 times and on the fourth grabbed the bird and down they went. About 15 minutes later the fish did the porpuse thing and I landed a surface plug about 2 feet in front of it. The next thing I knew the fish was out of the water and my line went tight as it lead to the direction of its head then snapped clean and laid in the water. My dad and my cousin just looked at me in disbelief as I sat there startled. My dad had carved the lure from a piece of pine and when I realed it in the trebble hook that had been at the rear of the plug had pulled clean out. I still recall this episode like it happened yesterday although it was 50 +/- years ago. Happend on French Creek just about 50 yards south of the Coneaught outlet.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

The porpoising fish rarely ever follow, I can remember it happening twice. But I too am guilty of attempting lol. My guess would be that you guys accidently hooked it.

I've only seen one ever attempt to strike, and it was blind in one eye and probably couldn't turn down a meal. Tigers are the only ones that seem to swim with there head out of the water for distances. The pures typically come up and then tail wag back down pretty quick. My guess is that they are regulating their air bladder in anticipation of feeding later in shallower water. But that is just my theory. Saw the same thing on the water this weekend, and the morning bite for us was nearly non-existent with the moon in the sky.

There is always a season!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 AM

The first 40 plus inch musky (44 in) I caught was porpoising. I casted in the area with a 2 oz spinner bait. The top blade broke the water and the musky porpoised on the bait and ate it. The bay it was in was full of small baitfish. I'm assuming it mistook the blade of the bait for a minnow and went for it. It was pretty cool to see it all transpire.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I suspect they've been caught and released and are on their way out dying. I've seen 4 different muskies doing this, days later I've found 2 of them dead. 3 were tigers and one was a pure musky. The pure musky would actually let me touch it with my rod tip.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Banned

We saw this about 2 weeks back on Marsh Creek Lake. Another boater, who seemed knowledgable indicated that they do that every spring in MCL. He said it has something to do with water temperature changes...? I don't know, but just thought I'd add that since you seem to have experienced the same thing. We saw a 40" porpoising and it actually swam right by the other guys boat, about 12" from his trolling motor without a care in the world - seemed starnge to me..
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 03:10 PM
The Man

Seen them cruise the top at Marsh Creek for many years during the summer. Never once had one interested in a bait.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page