C&R or size limits? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

C&R or size limits?

I noticed the West Virginia DNR rejected catch and release fishing for musky in favor of a 30 inch minimum for restocking musky into Dunkard Creek which goes back and forth between PA and WV. That is when the bait fish come back, they will stock them.

What are your thoughts?

I think a 30 inch minimum should do fine in allowing the musky to repopulate instead of catch and release.

How long would it take a 10 inch musky to get 30 inches in a stream?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Part of the Community

Re: C&R or size limits?

The pure strain muskies don't reproduce in the rivers I fish. Are you sure they reproduce in Dunkard Creek?

I was told it takes 3 years to make roughly 30".
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 PM
New Arrival

http://fishandboat.com/pafish/musky/...view_musky.htm

The above link has a growth chart on it. It seems that it will take 4 years for a musky to reach 30" I went to the meeting in Morgantown when the WVDNR announced their restoration plan. I was kind of hoping they would make it catch and release to help it get started but there's not really any good solid evidence that that is the best thing. Look at the Buckhannon river in Wv where a 40" muskie in the catch and release area is considered BIG. It should bounce back. I'd like to see Wv change the size limit statewide to 36"-40". It would make it a little harder for the meat eaters to land them. I would also like to see the PaF&BC do SOMETHING in regards to restoring Dunkard. They are still in a legal battle so have made no announcements on restoring the Pa side of the stream. They never really stocked the muskies...they all came from Wv's stocking efforts. I wouldn't be surprised if Pa did nothing which would be disappointing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
The Man

Be good if a few sportsmen clubs could get involved. Take some financial cost of restocking off the back of the PF&BC.

Genesis 27:3
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
New Arrival

I forgot that I did speak to someone from the fish commission at a 3 rivers muskie inc meeting and he said they thought there was natural reproduction occurring in dunkard to some degree and they wanted to stock same strain as before. That was before he knew of the legal battle so who knows what will happen. I do remember seeing a very small muskie in there before and led me to believe it was natural.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20wolf
http://fishandboat.com/pafish/musky/...view_musky.htm

The above link has a growth chart on it. It seems that it will take 4 years for a musky to reach 30" I went to the meeting in Morgantown when the WVDNR announced their restoration plan. I was kind of hoping they would make it catch and release to help it get started but there's not really any good solid evidence that that is the best thing. Look at the Buckhannon river in Wv where a 40" muskie in the catch and release area is considered BIG. It should bounce back. I'd like to see Wv change the size limit statewide to 36"-40". It would make it a little harder for the meat eaters to land them. I would also like to see the PaF&BC do SOMETHING in regards to restoring Dunkard. They are still in a legal battle so have made no announcements on restoring the Pa side of the stream. They never really stocked the muskies...they all came from Wv's stocking efforts. I wouldn't be surprised if Pa did nothing which would be disappointing.
Good stuff - Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page