Monongahela River Walleye - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Monongahela River Walleye

So I go to school at Cal U of Pa. My friends have been doing a little bit of fishing in the river, mostly for catfish, but I decided to strap on a spinner and try fishing the pike run near the mouth, and where it runs into the mon. Right before dark I started catching a bunch of walleye and sauger in the little cove where pike run comes into the river. It turns out that you arent aloud to fish there because its a boat marina's property. Weve tried multiple places for walleye and cant find anywhere else to go. I love in coal center and have had no luck at the dock there. I was wondering if anybody else knows of a decent spot for walleye around the California/Coal Center area.

nothin like an afternoon chasin wild trout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:53 AM

Re: Monongahela River Walleye

I know exactly where you are taking about. I caught some huge whitebass there when I used to go to CAL. I think (as in I'm not 100% sure) if you stand under the bridge you should be fine. I think the marina only owns up to the train tracks. You could also try over in Brownsville. Their is another stream that comes into the Mon their by the bridge that goes into the Brownsville. We've caught some really nice eyes around that mouth and around that bridge. Best of Luck!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thank you, I completely forgot about the creek that goes in at brownsville. The guy that told us we couldnt fish there did say we could fish up the creek. Ive caught some small smallmouth out of there but right at the mouth was just such fun fishing. Ill have to try brownsville. Thanks again.

Oh by the way, where would you park in brownsville to fish that spot?

nothin like an afternoon chasin wild trout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Best place I ever fished is the dam on Neville Island. U used to be able to park near dam and walk down.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinkid007
So I go to school at Cal U of Pa. My friends have been doing a little bit of fishing in the river, mostly for catfish, but I decided to strap on a spinner and try fishing the pike run near the mouth, and where it runs into the mon. Right before dark I started catching a bunch of walleye and sauger in the little cove where pike run comes into the river. It turns out that you arent aloud to fish there because its a boat marina's property. Weve tried multiple places for walleye and cant find anywhere else to go. I love in coal center and have had no luck at the dock there. I was wondering if anybody else knows of a decent spot for walleye around the California/Coal Center area.
Get a canoe or make friends with someone who has one and fish from it. They can't stop you from fishing that spot out of any type of watercraft. Or, if the water is shallow enough, access it by wearing waders and stay in the water at all times. They don't own the waterway, only the land that borders it.

Or, better yet, make friends with the guy that told you fishing isn't allowed and find out what his favorite libation is and buy him a case of it. Winners all around going that route.

Suburban redneck.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 02:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

get the conoe and wave to him with a big smile on your face lol !!

"some might call that sky bustin, i call it optimisam"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Or, better yet, make friends with the guy that told you fishing isn't allowed and find out what his favorite libation is and buy him a case of it. Winners all around going that route.
That guy that bought the Cal Boat Club is a real toolbag. Small time Big Shot that procured all of his money by illicit means. Trust me, I know. Agreed on the Canoe or wade fishing. There is a large sandbar from the mouth of Pike Run to the right, that run's up along shore. You wouldn't know it unless you were wading, but you can walk out 50 yds. offshore and still be chest level.

Start at the wharf in Cal and walk the shoreline down to the boat club. He can't say doodly squat about it.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Sage

When I first went to Cal back in 83 and 84, that was where I did my serious test preparation. Settled the nerves just before the exam.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 PM

Well at that time, it was still truly the Cal Boat Club, operated and maintained (sporadically) by a few old fellers from Cal that had the time on their hands to keep it going. After they passed, the "club" and it's docks came up for sale. It was bought by a guy from "down river", along with half the riverfront in the little town of Coal Center. He kept the name "Cal Boat Club", and opened a restaurant there, which you probably know already.

Thing is, local kids cut their teeth river fishing at that particular spot (the mouth). It had easy access and open shoreline, which much of that river there does not have. What would it hurt this butthead owner if he let kids or families fish that shoreline ? Nothing. As I said, he's a moron. There, I feel better. And yeah, I also know it's his prerogative to do as he pleases as he owns it.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page