Cabelas walleye runners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Cabelas walleye runners

Has anyone ever fished with these? I'm new to walleye fishing but I just picked up the 6 pack of these (figured considering idk what I'm doing I'll get lures that actually have walleye in the name) I most likely will try some trolling with them. Has anyone had success with them? Any and all tips are appreciated. I will mostly be fishing blue marsh as it only takes me 15 minutes to get there and I know there is walleye in there. Trolling in general is kind of new to me, I've read around 2mph is a good speed? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM
The Man

I never used Cabela's walleye lures but I have no doubt they will work. Most are made in China from proven designs.

I troll for walleye with similar lures. It can get complicated depending on the depth and what is on the bottom. Experimentation and experience will come into play.

In general consider these suggestions:

You can control the depth of the lure by the length and poundage of the line you have out. You can also use the lure to fish the depth you want. Sometimes I use shallow runners over weed tops. You will need to experiment. If you catch a fish remember what you were doing when you caught it, speed, depth, location, etc.

I also use trolling sinkers to get down quickly without letting too much line out.

I try to troll over the tops of the bottom weeds or structure. That is not always easy.

I also try to troll along the edge of weed lines and structure. A little easier.

If I mark fish or catch fish I throw out a marker buoy and work the spot. This is a good time to have shiners and night crawlers.

Vary your speed. Sometimes slow speed works and sometimes a faster speed up to 3 or 4 mph works.

And last but not least.....everything above is subject to change depending on the fish.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:10 AM
Caz
New Arrival

I’ve never caught any walleye trolling BM, not to say they aren’t there. You might however troll up some nice tiger muskys running those in the right areas. Also if you’re new to the area take my advice get there early and fish before the yuppies take over the lake, especially if you’re trolling.

5B 4B 4D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:52 PM

Most walleye at BM are caught incidentally by guys fishing for bass, hybrids or crappie. The lake stratifies as summer progresses and there is very low oxygen in the water below 15-20' so you can eliminate deeper water. Some of the guys using downriggers(for hybrids) do pick up some eyes on a sort of "regular" basis. I hit it hard for eyes in the late 80's + early 90's and like you pretty much struck out - we did get 1 trolling a worm harness just outside the buoys at the beach(trick I learned in Canada) but that was it. You are better off fishing below the dam fall through winter.

SE PA is not a good walleye fishing area despite the numbers stocked in the few lakes that still get stocked with walleye - they don't spawn and according to our former PFBC biologist bass chow down on the fry that are stocked. Some sort of young walleye evening migration into the shallows and the bass key on them.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the tips! The whole shallow water in the summer is a shocker, I thought for sure that that would be the time to go along the breast. I took a ride on the boat the other day and marked some structure and plan to do another trip within the next few days. I recently got a helix 7 so I am still kind of learning how to use it. If I get a few this summer I would be stoked, I've only caught a handful of them. I went on a trip to Quebec when I was a kid with my dad for them and the others we all caught by accident. I've been watching a lot of youtube and it seems like a blue jig head with a fat head is a good weapon so I might be checking that out also.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:18 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The reaper View Post
I've been watching a lot of youtube and it seems like a blue jig head with a fat head is a good weapon so I might be checking that out also.
Get on YouTube and check out slip bobber fishing and drop shot fishing. Drop shot fishing can be used with live bait and plastic critters. I use both but I'd suggest live bait to start. Grab some night crawlers and minnows and hit the lake. I have never fished Blue Marsh but I'd think because of what I read above that boat traffic has an influence on the fish. Because of the boat traffic and because of what I see in the walleye waters I fish down here I suggest fishing for them one hour before dark until two hours after dark.

You have the Helix. Find the structure holding fish on the bottom and mark it with buoys. If you start to catch them on bait then try casting your lures to the same area.

Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 PM

Sent you a PM ... in addition to that take a look at the PFBC page look for the habitat maps - don't think they've done anything for a while, but you don't want to troll through cribs ..... LOL.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page