walleye population on North branch susky - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

walleye population on North branch susky

Hello all, Im just curious if anyone that fishes the NB noticed a drop off in walleye population in last couple years. I know for me anyway, the last 5 years seemed to have really dropped off. Im wondering if its just me or if the affects of overharvest and the halt of PFBC stockings are having an effect on population. Ive been trying to find recent PFBC studies but I only come up with old info.... Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
Hello all, Im just curious if anyone that fishes the NB noticed a drop off in walleye population in last couple years. I know for me anyway, the last 5 years seemed to have really dropped off. Im wondering if its just me or if the affects of overharvest and the halt of PFBC stockings are having an effect on population. Ive been trying to find recent PFBC studies but I only come up with old info.... Any opinions?

Nah, the walleyes are getin' smarter, just like all the deer stopped crossing at the "deer crossing signs" and the number of road kills are way down.
bohunr, Dogface and BigJob like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:47 AM
The Man

I haven't caught a walleye on the N. branch in a long time. Looking back I've caught more musky in the past 10 years than walleye.

I should clarify that when I targeted walleye I fished certain holes at night. If I caught a walleye during the day it was incidental to fishing for bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:00 PM
The Man

Quote:
Im wondering if its just me or if the affects of overharvest and the halt of PFBC stockings are having an effect on population. Ive been trying to find recent PFBC studies but I only come up with old info.... Any opinions?

I don't know if overharvest is a problem. I read everything I can about the river. A lot about guys are catching small mouth but I see no mention about walleye even as incidental catches. It just seems like they are not there.

Maybe I should try a few crawler harnesses next time I get on the river...…..if it ever goes down.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Banned

Lightbulb High Water??

I have a theory/hunch. Could the recruitment of the yearlings be hampered with all the recent high water flooding? It's been raining cat's and dog's for a few years in the N.Branch watershed and this "may" be a factor growing fingerlings. Make any sense? Dunno, henna!!
Dogface likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:

I believe you're right on every item. Bad spawns from floods - the PFBC halt on stockings - Every Tom Dick and Harry keep every walleye they catch. But there is one more factor and it is a mainstream predator - flatheads. So I think this combination is what is going on.

Flatheads by the way act more like walleyes than catfish - FACT. You will catch more flatheads in walleye areas than anywhere else. I have witnessed 2 - 30" flatheads fighting over a 16-17" walleye one had caught.
Whaler likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:13 PM
The Man

How far north are the flatheads?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Flatheads are what i was waiting to hear about...i believe that will be another factor if its not already...they are big predator of walleye or any fish for that matter. I will kill everyone i catch...i hear they are better eating then channels..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:15 AM
Part of the Community

We have them past Mt Union on the Juniata already so I'm positive they are very far north on the Susqy. I caught one of the first decent sized ones in 2014 around the Mifflintown area 30 incher and they have become established very quickly.

Example of what happens when they move in:
There is a very well known wintering hole that is one of the deepest on the Juniata. Used to go out and catch 20 to 40 bass in the winter everytime out. Flatheads moved in to this hole and now it's hard to catch 10 bass out of it. There were always musky in the hole but it never really bothered the bass. Flatheads though - top predator! This hole has always had a lot of walleye in it in the summer - not anymore. They are catching 38" flats out of there now. It is amazing how fast the flats have established themselves.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:10 PM

The MD DNR caught a 57 lb flathead in Conowingo that puked up a 19" walleye. I do enjoy eating the flatheads a lot more than the channel cats. My wife fries chunks of the belly meat and it reminds me of scallops. Flatheads are the only fish I catch that I kill regardless if I'm going to eat them or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in