Chasing Pickerel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Chasing Pickerel

Hello Everyone!

I fish year round, and I try to mix it up as much as possible. During the Winter I find it a little harder to do so. Most of the season is spent fishing for trout, with the occasion try at some walleye/smallmouth in the Susquehanna River.

I would like to take a day to go after some Pickerel. I'm sure that this isn't a common request but where I live in Lancaster County, there aren't many options if any. I've caught a pickerel here and there while fishing for trout, but never more than 1 or 2. For open water I was thinking about streams for the most part. I am open to driving up to an hour and a half or so. I'm thinking the area north of Reading might be good, but I really have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm not looking to spot burn anyone, I just need some direction as to where to get some good numbers. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 PM

There used to be pickerel in the Stoney Creek in Dauphin Co. I couldn't begin to tell you how to access the are anymore, it's been a long time since I was there. Also, I heard there were some in what they called the Ice Dam in Mount Gretna area.

Gun Control = Using both hands, and hitting your target
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Sage

I've taken some at Pinchot State Park thru the ice on large shiners. I know guys catch them other times also. Some of the backwater inflow areas have decent lily pad/weed bed habitat.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Ran View Post
There used to be pickerel in the Stoney Creek in Dauphin Co. I couldn't begin to tell you how to access the are anymore, it's been a long time since I was there. Also, I heard there were some in what they called the Ice Dam in Mount Gretna area.
Stony is actually one of the few places around that I have caught a pickerel at. Only 2 ever though. I just went about a month ago though, and i didn't catch any.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
I've taken some at Pinchot State Park thru the ice on large shiners. I know guys catch them other times also. Some of the backwater inflow areas have decent lily pad/weed bed habitat.
I have heard that there are some in Pinchot as well. However, not sure if there is safe ice at the moment. I would prefer to wade a creek right now if possible.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancFisherman View Post
I have heard that there are some in Pinchot as well. However, not sure if there is safe ice at the moment. I would prefer to wade a creek right now if possible.
Agree on the ice. I know Lake Redman's(York County) ice is now unsafe plus even gone in some areas. So far this year only had a narrow window of a few days where you could get on.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:55 PM

If you really want to chase pickerel head up to the Pocono's(anywhere LOL). If staying "local" is your only option Scotts Run lake in French Creek SP had a good(but mostly small in size) population. However the lake is down for repairs so not sure if you can get to the remaining pool to fish....Exposed muddy lake bottoms can be quick sand like ! Plus if they get done with the work and refill it before the trout opener it becomes "off limits" prior to opening day. Hopewell lake(same park) also has some in it but they were not as numerous. They were also stocked(once mid 90's) into Ontelaunee and Kearcher and a few are caught still - mainly by guys on the ice. Over in Chester they claim they are in Chambers lake... IDK.

It doesn't seem like pickerel were real common here in the SE. Before they stocked them in Ontelaunee + Kearcher I never heard of any in Berks except at Scotts Run.

P.S. -- check the stocking list for Speedwell don't know if they put any in there or not(catch +release only for awhile yet)

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Last edited by icemole; 02-12-2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added PS
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage

Check out the Big Chiques creek in Lanc Co.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemole View Post
If you really want to chase pickerel head up to the Pocono's(anywhere LOL). If staying "local" is your only option Scotts Run lake in French Creek SP had a good(but mostly small in size) population. However the lake is down for repairs so not sure if you can get to the remaining pool to fish....Exposed muddy lake bottoms can be quick sand like ! Plus if they get done with the work and refill it before the trout opener it becomes "off limits" prior to opening day. Hopewell lake(same park) also has some in it but they were not as numerous. They were also stocked(once mid 90's) into Ontelaunee and Kearcher and a few are caught still - mainly by guys on the ice. Over in Chester they claim they are in Chambers lake... IDK.

It doesn't seem like pickerel were real common here in the SE. Before they stocked them in Ontelaunee + Kearcher I never heard of any in Berks except at Scotts Run.

P.S. -- check the stocking list for Speedwell don't know if they put any in there or not(catch +release only for awhile yet)
Yeah I figured I might have to go up to the Poconos. I was hoping to wade a stream and fish for them rather than lake fish. I'm guessing feeder creeks to lakes up there might be a decent shot? I definitely don't mind a drive.

I have caught a few at Scott's Run as well, but never in Speedwell. I know that they are not on the stocking list, but i saw a picture of a Musky out of there this summer so you never know!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Check out the Big Chiques creek in Lanc Co.
Does that have Pickerel? I grew up in Manheim and fished that creek hundreds of times, never caught one. Plenty of little smallies and largies though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page