Walleye From Shore - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Walleye From Shore

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get after some walleye at some new spots in the next month or so starting this weekend. I've been doing a bit of research but I'm not coming up with a ton. I fish the Susquehanna River a ton so I am excluding this from my search. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on lakes that I could catch walleye, or any other cold water species from shore. I am looking in the Lancaster, Harrisburg, Reading, York, Chester areas.

It seems as though Lake Marbug might be my best bet, i just have no idea where.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:16 PM

Stick to the river... The PFBC has discontinued stocking walleye at many of our SE lakes. No knowledge of Marburg - chased them hard at Struble with ZERO luck(trying every known walleye trick) - Blue Marsh guys get a few by accident crappie/bass fishing. I've tried some jigging and trolling with little luck(1-17" eye off the beach). I believe they follow the alewives in "open" water downriggers may be the ticket ... but that doesn't help you. Some do get caught below the dam at the Stilling Basin - but that depends on water being released - time of year - and where they are releasing water from(top/ middle or bottom of the lake). Best chance is before the season closes IF we get heavy flooding rains and IF they do bottom release

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemole View Post
Stick to the river... The PFBC has discontinued stocking walleye at many of our SE lakes. No knowledge of Marburg - chased them hard at Struble with ZERO luck(trying every known walleye trick) - Blue Marsh guys get a few by accident crappie/bass fishing. I've tried some jigging and trolling with little luck(1-17" eye off the beach). I believe they follow the alewives in "open" water downriggers may be the ticket ... but that doesn't help you. Some do get caught below the dam at the Stilling Basin - but that depends on water being released - time of year - and where they are releasing water from(top/ middle or bottom of the lake). Best chance is before the season closes IF we get heavy flooding rains and IF they do bottom release
Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was afraid of. I'm always looking for new ways to fish, and I've never caught a walleye out of lake. Only creeks/rivers. I just get sick of fishing my same shore spots at the river. I thought for sure there would be a lake around with some eyes up shallow this time year. I still may hit a couple lakes for some late fall bass.

I'm thinking at the very least I might run into some cold water species at some of the lakes around, pickerel, pike, hybrids, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:41 PM

Hybrids/purebreds/musky/channel cats maybe at Blue Marsh along with remote chance at huge flatheads. Struble might have some musky and channels. There really aren't any pike in SE PA to speak of and pickerel are pretty limited to Hopewell right now(Scotts Run is in draw down)

Don't know what's over in York County(check the stocking page on the PFBC site). Sending you a PM that might help in your hunt.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage

Some areas on York County side below Safe Harbor Dam are good for eyes. From Shenks Ferry on down there a few walk in spots. Also below Holtwood Dam on York County side.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 10:55 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancFisherman View Post
I'm always looking for new ways to fish, and I've never caught a walleye out of lake. Only creeks/rivers. I thought for sure there would be a lake around with some eyes up shallow this time year.

I have two local lakes I fish for walleye. On one "it seems" the walleye show up just off weed lines and sometimes in the weeds just before and after dark. It doesn't happen with any regularity. Sometimes I'll fish 3 or four days and catch nothing except maybe a few crappie. Then the walleye show up and we get into them.

The other lake is bigger. Walleye are hit and miss but those I caught recently were just off weeds.

BTW I do fish from a boat most of the time and many times the weeds I fish are off shore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page