Circle Hooks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Circle Hooks

I would like to start using circle hooks for pike fishing. Is there any drawbacks for doing so? I generally use shiners under a bobber. I also catch bass, bullheads and walleye using this setup. Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Sage

Re: Circle Hooks

Whatever you go with be sure to get an "offset" circle hook which has proven to enhance released fish mortality.

I favor the Eagle Claw L2004EL series of offset circle hooks. One thing to remember is to not set the hook as you do with conventional hooks. Just start reeling in & the circle hook will do its thing avoiding a gut hook & catch the edge of mouth affording minimal harm to fish. The Mustad 39950BL is also an excellent non-offset circle hook in addition to the The Gamakatsu 265 circle.

Best of luck!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:27 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I thought non offset were better on fish. All the tournament approved ones are non offset right? I like the Gama offset octopus better than the nons and have never gut hooked with them. They work better for me. Just bought a few other styles to try though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Sage

You are correct. All of the hooks I listed above are "non-offset". Typo in first sentence but later when i listed specific hook..."non-offset" was used...

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I still like offset hooks. As long as the hook isn't way too big that you can hill hook the fish I haven't had any hooked bad. Just little sharks taking big hooks, but all seemed ok on release so I don't know. I love circles for live bait though. Miss less fish and don't kill them. Great for catch and release.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Sage

I know on the Chesapeake Bay's early C&R Striper season originally only the non-offsets were legal but per last ck regs were relaxed a lil to allow any circle hooks....

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks guys. I haven't had any pike swallow the hook yet, but a bullhead did the other day and I would like to avoid it if possible. I'll give them a try and see how it works out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Sage

Be sure to report back on how you like them!

Best of luck!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use non-offset circle hooks with live bait for muskies. I bait the line with a #12 trout hook which is tied to the circle hook. the large circle hooks I use would kill a live bait. I also bent back the barb on the circle hook for a fast easy release of the fish. the hooks set against my light drag, but you need to tight the drag down and set the hook in the mouth corner, especially with the barb bent back. Keeping tension on the fish is important with that bad set back; but a long nose pliers makes relese in the net VERY easy, and that makes my day. An unharmed bait caught fish.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Went fishing today and connected on three fish and missed one. All the fish caught had the hook on the edge of the mouth and very easy to remove. I think they will work pretty good. My wife even brought one of them in when I was messing with her pole. Two were pike and a nice 16" smallmouth. Also caught a pike on a regular J hook and missed one on that too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page