Looking forward to Muskie fishing!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Looking forward to Muskie fishing!!

Hey everyone! I've never really fished for muskies and I want to change that. I fish the Sunbury fabradam of the Susquehanna River. I would really appreciate for some advice on how to catch these monsters. What pound test and type of line, and which tackle? Also, I've researched that some of the biggest muskies caught in PA are from the Lehigh River. I trout fish the Lehigh, but from which part of the Lehigh are people landing them?? Any help is appreciated!! Thank You!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 PM
New Arrival

Re: Looking forward to Muskie fishing!!

I'm fairly new but my mistakes will probaly save you some money. Most of the serious guys use fairly heavy duty baitcast reels. There are a ton of options and brands you just have to determine your price range. You really want a good size reel like an Abu 6000 series (not saying that is a good reel just a reel ~ that size).

For line, 80 lb test braid is about right. You could go with 100 lb or maybe down to 65 lb and still be fine. Your reel should be capable of holding about the entire spool of braid. The reel line capacity is usually in the diameter of mono so if it says 150 yards of 20 lb test, that will equal 150 yards of 80 lb braid (or whatever the braid package states fir equivalent diameter).

7 to 9 feet heavy action rods are pretty common. I would try to figure out what lures you want to use and then go with a rod that comfortably throws them. Lures are any where from 1 to 11 ounces and it's hard to have one rod do it all. For me, I use a lot of bucktails and they are not super heavy. Some guys use the big rubber baits and they can easily go over ten ounces. Some rods have wide ranges like 1-7 ounces and some are narrow like 1-4 ounces.

If you plan on using a rod and reel you currently own, use whatever you have that is closet to the above and add the braid. I see some guys using heavy spinning combos. There is a recent thread in this forum called Starting a Muskie Box that will give you some ideas on lures.

You will want good leaders. I use 100lb floro leaders but I'm probably going to buy 130lb next time. Wire leaders are a little cheaper. Just make sure they have a very heavy duty snap. I had the snap open on a backlash and watched my $20 lure fly away. That would be a lot worse if it opened on a 50+ fish.

Warning note on this advice! I've been muskie fishing for only 1.5 years and have never caught one.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the advice. I realized when I had already posted, that there was a good topic to read about it. Your advice is still better than nothing, even though you haven't caught one. They call the muskie "The fish of 10,000 casts" lol. And from what I hear they're one of the most difficult fish to catch in freshwater. I'll be attendinf Thaddeus in Lancaster in a few weeks, I see your from the area. A lot of good fishing ares there in the area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 10:34 PM
New Arrival

The Susquehanna has a lot of different types of fishing. I'm new to fishing it and it is quite large down here so it can be a challenge. The bass fishing is generally pretty good and it seems like most fisherman are chasing bass. Some folks do well catching big cats. I dont see a lot of muskie fisherman but there are fish in the river. There are a lot of trout streams in the area but I'm most familiar with the ones west of Lancaster.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Start out simple. Get a few bucktails and fish. Imo 7'6" rod with 50lb braid and steel leaders. if you fish smaller bucktails your basic round reel 6000-7000 seriers will work fine. your gear ratio on your reel is when you get into large heavier blades like cowgirls dc-10 double 12's. stick with 6's or at most run double 8s until you get the right tackle to use the bait correctly. On heavy applications use a 4:1 ratio series. 5:1 and even 6:1 would be fine for smaller lighter applications. bucktails catch fish!!!

Aim small miss small
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

The info sixbowls and mrluck gave you is spot on. Keep it simple and learn to use your equipment and lures properly and effectively. The rest will come with time on the water and experiance. I would suggest a few other baits in addition to just bucktails. I would recomend a topraider, a standard size bulldawg, and a minnow bait(shallow raider, grandma type). These along with the bucktails will cover most situations you are likely to encounter. Good luck and have fun!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks a lot everyone. Your tips and comments are appreciated. I'm gunna wait it out a cpl months till water temps cool off. I'll post any pics with my luck in the fall. Thanks again
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 PM
New Arrival

A lot of good info/tips here to catch a muskie.But remember to be prepared to deal with a big fish with a face full of hooks when you do catch one.Prepare yourself with a big net,long needle nose pliers,hook cutters and possibly jaw spreaders.Net the fish and keep it in water,remove hooks carefully and get your lure away from fish and net to prevent any accidents.Don't take fish out of net until your ready to take pictures,handle fish as little as possible for your safety as well as the fish.Good luck and be prepared when you land any muskie big or small.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page