Dunkard Creek Restoration - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Dunkard Creek Restoration

As many of you may know, Dunkard Creek, which once was a very productive smallmouth and muskie fishery, was destroyed a few years ago.
The stream has since cleaned up and now has some fish in it that have moved in from the monongahela river.
Whenever there is enough forage base (probably 2 years) the WVDNR plans to continue the muskie stocking program that has been in place for decades.
They will restock smallmouth also if necessary.

There seems to be a group who are opposed to the muskie.
They state reasons such as... muskie have limited the smallmouth population, muskie are not native, and even suggesting a muskie was watching children swimming waiting for an oppurtune meal.
This type of information is false. The smallmouth poulation in Dunkard was good before the fish kill, muskie are native to the Ohio River drainage which the Monongahela and Dunkard are a part of, and I'm not even going to waste time trying to find evidence of human eating muskie.

On August 25th there will be a meeting in Morgantown where the DNR will announce the Dunkard Creek restoration plan.
If you would like to support their efforts to restore the muskie population in Dunkard Creek please consider attending the meeting,
or you can sign an online petition in favor.

Thanks for the consideration,

Mike

http://www.petitiononline.com/Dunkard1/petition.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 PM

Re: Dunkard Creek Restoration

I'm from the Waynesburg/Jefferson area and will gladly support this petition. I won't be able to make the meeting, but I definately wouldn't mind a few more musky swimming around.

PSE Omen
*HHA 0L-5019
*QAD HD
2A
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 09:42 PM
The Man

If they can manage to keep the water clean, the fish will come back on their own, without any need to stock them. This has been the case on other streams.

The most important things for a stream are to maintain quality and quantity of water, and to maintain natural vegetation along the stream corridor, and to limit floodplain development.

Stocking fish is just a public relations thing to make the public happy, and it takes some attention away from the things that really need to be done to maintain a healthy stream. Because those things aren't easily done, and can lead to conflicts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Troutbert... you are definately correct that water quality is the most important thing here. That is the reason the fish kill occurred. However, musky programs around the country are maintained through stocking and the streams musky population would never be even close to what it once was without that. You may get a few fish that come in from the river but that would be it. Sounds like bass, suckers, and carp, along with minnows have returned to Dunkard so thats a good sign of the water quality.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 04:22 PM
The Man

I'm very interested in stream restoration. Not so much in muskie stocking.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

I dont have an opinion on the stocking but will be a bit upset if the funding for this project isnt coming from the mine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Flyway... West Virginia did receive a settlement and I'm sure they are using the money toward restoration. As far as the PA side... I'm not sure what they are doing. Last time I asked them the response was "it's an ongoing investigation". I think they are dropping the ball on this. More than likely WVDNR will continue the musky stocking efforts and other fish will come in from the river and hopefully it will bounce back. Pa will probably not stock any musky because they never did to begin with. We'll see if they get any money out of it.

If anyone wants to sign the petition here's the link again...
http://www.petitiononline.com/Dunkard1/petition.html
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks to those who signed the petition. We got over 100 names so that's pretty good. The meeting is this week if you would like to come here is the info...

Thursday Aug 25th 6pm WVU
National Research for Coal and Energy building
Assembly Room 101 A/B

385 Evansdale Dr.
Morgantown Wv 26506
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 PM

They are going to put 400 a year in the WV section.

No idea what the PFBC will do.

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Fishing/PDFFiles/Pr...n%20Plan%20.pdf
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

Good info and good luck!

There is always a season!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page