Raystown lake - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Raystown lake

My family and i are going to be at the lake the first week of August. Any tips on were and how to fish the lake. Our species preference would be walleye.I here the lake is also good for striper. Thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Raystown lake

Hire a guide it will be worth it to learn the lake and methods used to catch fish. It took me at least 3 guide trips and about 40 hrs on my own to learn to catch stripers. I'm a slow learner.
This guide will help you and answer your questions.

http://www.striper-guide.com/mainpageIE.htm
Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Where are you staying? If you are near the James Creek/Trough Creek area, fish the shorlines early mornings. Pay particular attention to submerged trees as they are what passes for structure along much of the shore. If near the Seven Points area, consider going downlake to Snider Run. Lots of good shoreline there.
In the past, I used rattletraps and topwater lures with some success for bass. A favorite old plug that still produces is the Smithwick Devil's Horse.
Another tactic that is usually good is to cast a plastic worm (Texas or Carolina rigged) on to the bank and let it fall into the water. Retrieve slowly.
Good luck. If you are in the Resort area, check to see if we are there at dock slip G6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I think i am the slow learner. I am the one that used the wrong hear, here. HAHAHA... We are staying at bitter goose cabin.We do quite a bit of trolling for eye's so the gear is not a problem. I never trolled with live bait "shad" so not sure how that will go for the striper. As for the walleye, what are the numbers like if any? How deep are the top's of the tree's?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Raystown is a mountain valley lake with relatively steep dropoffs in places and some flats. It was filled during the early 1970s, so there are still lots of dead trees on the bottom. You would be well advised to get a good structure map of the lake, mostly available in tackle shops in the area. Here is a link from which you can buy one:
http://shop.gmcomaps.com/product.sc?...&categoryId=31

I have not specifically targeted walleyes on Raystown, but some of the guys tell me they are finding them in decent numbers and size. Stripers usually are fished for during fall and spring, but you might try a guide to see what they are finding. A guy locally who might know who the good ones are would be the boat salesman at Shy Beaver Boat Center, Wayne Price. I have also fished for muskie on the lake, and some guys like to troll the flats with big lures, while others prefer casting around the edges of weed beds. Sorry I can't help you much with the walleyes.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 AM

stripers are still hitting good. Caught an 8lb and 10lb in the last two weeks. I know of about 10 other ones caught by friends. Can't help you with walleye, we only pick them up by accident.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Ok so walleye may not be an option. Any tips for the striper?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Well in the absence of pictures or diagrams I will make an attempt to tell you how I do it, this by no means the only way it can be done but this is what works for me,using live bait.

Boat- Mine is 18-1/2 feet 70in wide jon boat rigged this way, 6 rod holders,one on either side of the transom,two mid ship on on either side, two near the bow one on either side. Also power drive,auto pilot trolling motor and two sonar units,and a hand held GPS with a lake map installed (GPS opional)

Rods- I use light saltwater tackle . I really like the shakespear ugly stick striper series rods with matching reels spooled with at least 17lb mono and 30 won't hurt. I use rod mounted line counters.

Terminal tackle- First on the line is a plastic bead then a 1/2oz. egg sinker,then another plastic bead, now tie on a good strong swivel. Now at this point you will need a 5' length of mono,preferably berkly vanish,tie one end of this to the swivel,and to the other end tie a trebel hook not sure of the no. but mine measure about 3/8in from point to shank.

Bait- If you can use a throw net you can catch your own on the lake, shad or alewives,(need a permit for this). If not you can buy large shiners and rainbow trout (expensive) at the bait shops.If you buy trout make sure you keep the reciept on your person while fishing. Now I believe I am the only person that will tell you this, but I catch just as many striper in small bluegills and small crappie as I do on trout. I fish for these on the lake. Some times I will take a pair of sizzors and cut the sharp points off of the back fins of these.It is legal to use anything for bait that is legal to have in your livewell, don't use game fish that are under the legal size limit. I hook the bait through the nostril in one hole and out he other, others may do it different.

How to fish- now this is where it may get tough to explain,first hook your bait then put the line in the counter now hold the rod tip at the distance above the water it will be when it is in the rod holder,now with the egg sinker at the water line set the counter to zero drop the line to the depth you want to fish ( usually somewhere between 8 and 20 ft).now lock the spool and at the waterline grab the line and at this point attach your bobber or planer board. You should get the bobbers sold at the bait shops that have secure clips at the top and bottom of the bobber, this way you can adjust the depth of your bait without fooling with a bobber stop and they need not be threaded on to the line.

Rod placement- I put the two rods out the back on bobbers, the two midship go straight down without bobbers to the desired depth and the two at or near the bow go on planer boards. Put bait 50' or more from the boat watch how the other boats are doing it you will get the idea.

Trolling speed- I only go fast enough to keep the lines taught and a constant distance from boat. you do not want to anything other than cover water. not trying to get the bait to do anything special, just look natural and swimming around down there.
lock your bails or spools and make sure the drags are set properly. when your bobber or planer board goes under, HANG ON.

One last thing- I dont know if you have ever been on this lake or how big your boat is but be careful. dont get stuck far from the launch in a 14'john with a 9.9 kicker and a 20mph wind. you may be in trouble.

Right now I believe they are catching some fish between markers 14 and 15 and the james creek and trough creek areas
in august who knows but these areas are usually good bets anytime. I don't do any striper fishing till late Sept. and early Oct. At that time I catch fish in beer barrel bay,and between markers 10 and 11, also right in front of the launch at seven points between the launch and the no-wake markers
Be on the water early enough that you have to use your head lamps to get your rods in the water, fish till you need a break then come back a sunset and fish till you are tired of it.

Boy hopes this helps. if you catch one you will be hooked for life.

Don't be surprised if someone tells you something different, this is not the only way.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 PM

some of my best fishing there has been in august. It's not like fish stop eating for two months. Fishing is different, that's all.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

MM14-15 are always a good bet for stripes. My buddy did well there the other week on live alewife. Trough Creek bay cools and oxygenates, drawing bait and holding fish year round. The other easiest way to catch stripes without any trolling knowledge or tackle is simply to launch fro snyders (nearest the dam) in the late evening and head for the dam. Cruise back and forth along the breast casting distance from the bank and throw big plugs all night. You will catch fish, just not always the really big ones. Alewife will be spawning around there through July. You'll hear and see the bait coming up right after dark and you'll hear bigger splashes mixed in when the struipers start to feed on them. Use a stout baitcaster with atleast 15# braid. I like Cordell Redfins or shad imitating swimbaits. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in