Check it out on my new site:

HPA Site Rules

Your link has been removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Maryland Record Pure Strain Muskie

First off, my congrats to the kid. Girth more than half the length and mid-40's = a trophy fish. Hard to say a kid fishing by the bank with a grub should want to release a potential state record!

With that said, the reality is that his fish is an average to slightly above average weight for a spring female that size with eggs, and I'm glad the PA record is well out of reach of a fish like that.

I told you before Ed, you MD musky guys need to consider that low record a detriment to your fishery & get an official with a certified scale on speed dial. That way when one of you guys catch a female close to 50 inches in the fall or spring you can put your record much higher than the low 30's. You might even be able to do it without hurting the fish, if the guy with the scales agrees to meet you on the water. It might cost you a hole, but not as many as this article did (lol). You don't need to do it for every big fish, even ones at or just above the record, just do it for a special one. I know it is not about record chasing, but if your MD record doesn't get put above the low 30's (which mid-40 & mid-upper-40 inch fish hit regularly) you're gonna see a lot of fish that size dying just to see if it's a record.

There is always a season!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 PM
New Arrival

Fishdoctor... you make a goood point and it may be worth even keeping a larger fish just to set the bar higher. That is if people are keeping a lot of fish around the 30lb mark to break the record. I don't fish that area so don't know if that is a real problem or not. I heard potomac is natural reprduction for skis and doesnt receive stocking so it would help to raise the bar so smaller fish are not kept.

I'm not sure however if that fish would have been released in Pa or anwhere else. Dad takes kid fishing throwing a small grub with light tackle and lands a 30lb+ musky in bad river conditions to boot. Against all odds they went fishing that day and landed a nice one. I hope they get it mounted and it doesn't get freezer burn like many do when they get a price from the taxidermist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good for the kid, I bet he is hooked for life now!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Fishdoctor... you make a goood point and it may be worth even keeping a larger fish just to set the bar higher. That is if people are keeping a lot of fish around the 30lb mark to break the record. I don't fish that area so don't know if that is a real problem or not. I heard potomac is natural reprduction for skis and doesnt receive stocking so it would help to raise the bar so smaller fish are not kept.
I agree...if we can get the weight up even higher it would probably save a lot of 30lb fish.

And, yeah, if I were 12 years old, I could never be convinced to release a fish like that.

There's a picture with the fish "not so dead" here:
newspaper article

Get out there and get one!

Ed
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yes I agree, one heck of an accomplishment for a 12 year old and his dad fishing less than optimal conditions with a grub from shore! That fish probably wasn't going to be released in that situation. However, I was just pointing out that fish that size are probably fairly abundant in the Potomac (at least the 45 inch length)and people might go more by the fishes length than the combination of girth and length, resulting in just shy fish getting killed by people who might consider releasing them if they were not suspected of being a record.

There is always a season!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
However, I was just pointing out that fish that size are probably fairly abundant in the Potomac (at least the 45 inch length)and people might go more by the fishes length than the combination of girth and length, resulting in just shy fish getting killed by people who might consider releasing them if they were not suspected of being a record.
I totally agree. Even I have caught a couple 45" fish!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 AM

Never had any idea musky were native to the Potomac River
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

They aren't native, AND, the DNR never stocked pures. They started showing up in the 70s. One rumor is some guy from PA started throwing them in. Thank you who ever you are!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page