North Branch Susquehanna - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

North Branch Susquehanna

Is it worth fishing for walleye in the summer in the North Branch?

I don't know the river but I want to take my son out to try for walleye. From what I have seen it seems the best walleye fishing in the river is in the winter. We are looking to camp somewhere for the weekend in a couple weeks and fish for walleye. Maybe camp at Frances Slocum and fish the river if they are caught this time of year.

If not, maybe we'll try a lake that holds walleye. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:30 AM
The Man

If I was going to fish for walleye on the NB of the Susquehanna I would find a deep hole and concentrate on it after dark. I have caught a few while bass fishing but not many. Just before dark and dark seem to be the best times. I would have crawlers and minnows handy in addition to twister tails, stick baits and some crank baits.

BTW rain will affect the river. It was high and muddy the past few days. We did not fish it because it was high. If you plan a trip be prepared to cancel if there are bad storms a few days before.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the tips. I don't like night fishing in rivers. I'll have to give it some thought. Maybe I'd be better off at a lake. I never seem to find them in the PA lakes that I fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

night fishing in the river is where it's at in my opinion. every walleye ive caught bigger than 5lbs was in the dark. i can understand you not liking it but it's tough to beat. live bait is the way to go during the day though.

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:46 PM

I have seen the best flowing water daytime walleye when the water is high and just a bit shy of muddy. At least in my end of the state.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Part of the Community

Frances Slocum holds walleye. Again, night better than day. The river is good. It is better if you know the channels to fish during the day. A lot easier with a boat and drifting. And again, night better than day on the river too.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I'm not totally against night fishing the river but I will be with my 5 year old son and don't know the river (depth, etc.). I don't want to put him in danger.

I'll have to give it some thought as to a destination. Maybe we'll try Frances Slocum.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Alright, I made the decision. I just reserved a camp site at Shawnee State Park. There are supposed to be walleye in the lake. I am going to bring my wife and 2 kids. My wife and daughter can go to the swimming area if they don't feel like fishing. My son will want to fish for 10 hours straight. I'll update with a report.
CROW MASTER and muskyman62 like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM

Find out if there are actually walleyes in the lake.... many lakes have been dropped from the walleye stocking list over the last several years. The description on the DCNR site may not be accurate either(they list walleye for Hopewell - never any in there)

That is one of the Parks that the DCNR has a depth map(color or B/W) for which is a good thing.
Springer Rage likes this.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemole View Post
Find out if there are actually walleyes in the lake.... many lakes have been dropped from the walleye stocking list over the last several years. The description on the DCNR site may not be accurate either(they list walleye for Hopewell - never any in there)

That is one of the Parks that the DCNR has a depth map(color or B/W) for which is a good thing.
I just looked it up an it looks like it is still stocked with walleye but they skipped a few years. Here's what the PFBC website says (I only looked back to 2010):

2010 Walleye Fingerling 9,000
2011 Walleye Fingerling 9,000
2013 Walleye Fingerling 27,000
2014 Walleye Fingerling 18,000
2017 Walleye Fingerling 9,000
-
Total =72,000

If we can't catch any, it's on us!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page