Good Luck FishDr at the PMTT - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Good Luck FishDr at the PMTT

Just wanted to drop a line on here and wish you good luck and safe travels!! Hopefully you and FIL put #'s or pigs in the boat!! I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing stories of the adventure. Maybe by the time you get home we can start pounding some local fish..

Aim small miss small
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Good Luck FishDr at the PMTT

Thanks MrLuck. Should be an interesting experience at least. I see there is bad weather & a cold front coming for the weekend. Hard to predict how it will affect the fishing, normally I'd like it, but in the spring on relatively new water......I'll reserve my opinion. Same playing field for all though!

There is always a season!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Part of the Community

Hey, good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

Good luck down there!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good luck! Do us proud! But more importantly, have fun!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Well I just got off the phone with the Dr, and they were getting ready for the meeting for the tourny. He also noted tornado warnings and other nasty stuff was coming that way. One thing for sure is it will equal out the playing field a bit with the nasty weather and extremely high muddy water!!!

Aim small miss small
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Well, we just got back late last night from KY. The water was already 13' above summer pool when we got there Thursday, and continually rose each day while we were there. By day 2 of the tourney I heard it was approximately 20 ft above summer pool. The water clarity was very poor through most of the lake when we got there, and the few clearer areas diminished each day. The constantly changing conditions made it hard for most of the guys in the field to develop a pattern. One thing that definitely hurt us, was that we were severely underpowered in Bob's river boat against 95% of the field, so the few spots we found that were clearer and would have liked to have fished, were taken by 15 to 20 boats within 10 minutes of take off. So we just did what we could to find fish.

Unfortunately, we were unable to measure a fish during the tourney. My FIL managed 2 sub-30's, one during practice and one on Day 1 of the tourney. Another PA team managed a 35 incher day 1 from the same exact location the FIL boated his on Day 1. This area we assume was a parking lot and beach area, but we are not sure. I did see a basketball hoop half way underwater, and caught a 17 inch bass off of a completely submerged volleyball net. On day one a guy was pulling picnic tables out of the water in that area with a tractor and bringing them to dry land. By Day 2 they were in the water again (lol).

In hind site, I guess we should have stayed in that spot for a few more hours Day 1, maybe we could have got that fish when the front came in. That is when the other guys caught it. Oh yeah, it poured Day 1 after about noon, and the winds during the entire tourney were up to around 25 mph a lot of the time, making the waves ridiculous over much of the lake. I am happy for the PA guys that caught that fish though. We seemed to bump into them each day we were there on the water & they were really nice guys.

Only excitement on Day 2 was a follow from a decent fish, but I could not get that thing to eat anything. The results were not good overall, but a few guys did crack the nut with the winner boating 3 fish, a 30....a 31....and a Day 2 49 incher that sealed the deal, and was the big fish of the tourney. Only 21 fish were measured, 12 on Day 1 and 9 on Day 2. 70 plus teams ended up like us & did not measure a fish. Funny thing was, a mid 30 inch fish at any point would have put you in the top 10, and the other PA guys did manage to hang on to 9th place with their Day 1 35 inch. Awesome for them, wish I was good with names to give them credit! Crash & Justin Mullins were in 7th place with one fish measuring somewhere between 36 & 39 inches.

All in all it was an awesome experience. It was cool hearing how the fish were caught by the guys that caught them at the awards banquet, and cooler noticing that very different techniques each produced during the tough conditions. We found out we did the right things in some of the right spots, we just didn't get the bites. For the record, this was the most polite and well-run tourney that I have ever been a part of. The guys were polite, I didn't hear any mean bickering, just polite jabs from the guys that were in the winning area of the lake with each other.

As for us, our PMTT trail ends for this year. But we'll be back next year to Cave Run. Had we finished high enough there this year, we would have had to fish at least one of the remaining two qualifiers to have a chance at the Championship on Alum Creek in Ohio. Since we got no fish at Cave Run and only recieved entry points, the risk is too high for not making the top 50 for us to justify spending the money to go to the other 2 qualifiers which are a lot farther than the 8 hrs it took us to get to the Cave. Wish I could go though...... just to fish Eagle River Chain (Wisconsin)and Cass Lake (Minnesota) would be an experience of a life time. Maybe next year! Better yet....maybe some day the PMTT will get an eastern division.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

A few pics.

Me and the FIL

First little one

2nd little one

Steve Genson (winner) 49 inch big fish

Final result board

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Part of the Community

Bummer on the water. You gave it a good shot.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sorry to hear the conditions were poor. The lake did look unusually high on the 2nd/3rd when we were in the area. That lake never looks clear to me though; always murky brown. Always looks like a tough lake to fish, but then again, practically all I know about muskie fishing I've read on HPA, LoL.

Hopefully next year treats ya better.

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page