Muskie fishing from a kayak? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Muskie fishing from a kayak?

I like to fish from my kayak and this season decided to start trolling for muskie from the yak. Was out today and nothing going, but did get close to two mature eagles. Any must know tips for this rookie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Muskie fishing from a kayak?

I cant imagine tring to land the fish if is has sum size. hold on you might be in for a wild ride. Do you know how to water ski??

I have thought about it but never acted on it.

WVU------Lets GOOOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!!!!!
SRWA
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

While at school in New York, I fish for Northerns out of my kayak.

I have caught and landed some 40 inch fish over the past couple of years, and found a way to make it a bit eaiser.

I have rod holders on the kayak, and I tie a bogo grip to the holder, once I get the pike along side the boat, I can hook it up with the bogo grip and let it sit along side until I remove the hook.

And yes, a 40 inch Northern can pull a kayak around pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I like the bogo grip idea. Thanks. I have caught chan and flat cats and bass so far and i could us the bogo grip on some of the bigger flatheads. I'm gonna have to invest in one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:16 AM
New Arrival

i fish almost exclusivly from a kayak and muskies are a favorite species. i have landed several 45"+ fish from that little yak and theres nothing more fun.
learn how to turn your kayak with your rod. if you have a fish on try to face the nose of your yak to him by fighting him at different angles.
also never let a fish go under your yak....if he takes off you will flip...trust me
the paddle will get in your way alot. i have found you can buy velcro and i wrap a section of the soft side around the middle of the handle and stick the rough side to the side of my yak. that way i can just stick the paddle there and its out of the way.
its easiest to just release a fish without bringing it into the boat so keep a good set of pliers and wire cutters.
if you do insist on bringing it in please remove the hooks first. in a yak theres nowhere for the fish to go but on your lap and if it decides it wants to leave theres nothing stopping a mass of flailing hooks from imbedding in your thighs.
lastly, HAVE FUN! and be safe

"Big shots are only little shots that kept on shooting"---Christopher Morley
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper0829
i fish almost exclusivly from a kayak and muskies are a favorite species. i have landed several 45"+ fish from that little yak and theres nothing more fun.
learn how to turn your kayak with your rod. if you have a fish on try to face the nose of your yak to him by fighting him at different angles.
also never let a fish go under your yak....if he takes off you will flip...trust me
the paddle will get in your way alot. i have found you can buy velcro and i wrap a section of the soft side around the middle of the handle and stick the rough side to the side of my yak. that way i can just stick the paddle there and its out of the way.
its easiest to just release a fish without bringing it into the boat so keep a good set of pliers and wire cutters.
if you do insist on bringing it in please remove the hooks first. in a yak theres nowhere for the fish to go but on your lap and if it decides it wants to leave theres nothing stopping a mass of flailing hooks from imbedding in your thighs.
lastly, HAVE FUN! and be safe
Sounds scary! Hats off to ya!

I have enough trouble keeping my kayak upright, let alone keeping a big muskie from going under it and flipping me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Trapper0829, Thanks for the advice. Our river is frozen right now, but as soon as the ice clears Iím back at it. Last year I had a nice catfish go under me and I was lucky not to end up swimming. I like the challenge of fishing from the kayak and it offers access galore. Good luck in the future and donít be surprised if I pm u if I get in a jam.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 04:44 AM
New Arrival

not a problam man. im pretty sporatic on this board but ill get back to ya asap if ya need help.

"Big shots are only little shots that kept on shooting"---Christopher Morley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page