Allegheny River Walleye - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Allegheny River Walleye

I live near the river in Oil City now and I want to start fishing for Walleye more. What baits and locations do you guys have the best luck with..Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Allegheny River Walleye

I used to fish for walleye in Kennerdell with my uncle. We would just drift crawler harnesses through the riffles and we usually had pretty good luck picking up a few walleye. You'd also get the occasional smallie or catfish.

Free Madcatter!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 03:34 PM

My go to lures for river eyes in shallower water are husky jerks, jointed floating rapalas, and jig/swimbait, all in the 3-5" range. I should note that I primarily fish the lower reaches of the river, but I've found those lures to be consistent producers just about everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks a lot guys! Kennerdell is not far from us at all...I'll have to give your technique a shot this fall.. I know of a place that supposedly holds them well and has riffles going though it so I'll try that one first...Appreciate it! And also I figured on trying some swimbaits as well because they seem to be a producer on most species...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:10 PM

Get to the end of the riffle where the water starts to smooth out. Cast into the end of the riffle and let the current carry your bait into the slower water. If you use live bait get a hold of some leeches, great walleye bait. Some bait shops carry them. They won't get bit off by small fish like a crawler will. Small mouths also love them.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Awesome , thanks for the tips guys!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:52 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox_Hunter
My go to lures for river eyes in shallower water are husky jerks, jointed floating rapalas, and jig/swimbait, all in the 3-5" range. I should note that I primarily fish the lower reaches of the river, but I've found those lures to be consistent producers just about everywhere.
X2 and for us blue/chrome finish seems to work well
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 12:01 PM

I have success on the Allegheny with minnows for the same water and eddies below a riffle. There may be boulder on the shoreline where water pools and the eyes wait in hiding. The bite is usually strange and light but don't be fooled it can be a nice one. The Allegheny has been tough this fall with high cloudy flows. High water I don't mind but don't usually do good with muddy water. A Silver #11 Rapala floated on top of the water as it gets dark is also another successful method. When you catch one stick with the spot there are more. Good Luck.

Kinzua Man
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 11:55 PM

I believe the best bait is live bait caught out of the river. Get yourself a bait bucket, ultra light tackle (light line and a size 22 hook), and a can of maggots. The primary bait in the Allegheny we call blue dots or riffle runners. Sand Pike are also present and good. Get in the shallows, stir up the bottom with your feet, and use the ultra light tackle in the dirt cloud. Once you catch some bait, fish it on a split shot rig. Catching bait can be time consuming but it will catch walleye. If you can find a place to store your bait in the river or feeder creek, it takes some of the work out of it. You can also trap bait if you have a trap and place to set it.

I do best in deeper runs, especially with holes and large rocks present. Target anything deeper than surrounding area, and get your bait right behind the large rocks. The walleye sit in the eddy created by the obstruction.

There are numerous areas between Oil City and Franklin. Two of the best are right where Oil Creek enters the river and drops into main river channel. This is accesible by wading if conditions are right. The other is a shore spot just below Reno, on the Route 8 side, at the rapids there. A large eddy is present and it can be fished from shore.

Hope this helps and best of luck.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:12 PM

We have a camp along French Creek near Cochranton. We do the same as Bassnleo.But we put minnow traps out in a local creek and catch a nice selection of bait, we like to use the 4 to 6 inch creek chubs the best, mostly in the fall when the water is cooler, the walleye`s are more active.The head of the riffles and below them are good...In the summer months we use 4 inch tube jigs in the fast water and work-em slow....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page