Otter expansion..... something to watch - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Otter expansion..... something to watch

Was visiting a buddy in WV over the weekend. Got on the topic of otters and how they have expanded to nearly every major watershed in PA.

He said that the WV DNR had done some relocation work with others in his area a while back. They were introduced into the Meadow River (the one in Greenbrier County that flooded so bad).......and have since basically wiped out what was a fabulous musky fishery.

I wasn't aware that otters preyed on big fish. Just something to log away and watch as otters multiply in some of PA's traditionally great musky and pike creeks and rivers.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:04 PM

Re: Otter expansion..... something to watch

I love to trap, and would greatly enjoy trapping otter. That said, I've seen fisher numbers take off to where I believe they have put a hurt on small game and turkeys in the area. Otters can clean out a trout pond , and I don't doubt they would take a musky if the opportunity arose. Big muskies don't grow overnight, and otters don't practice catch and release.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I would think a trout in a pond would be much harder for an otter to catch than a musky in a creek.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Im a hydrogeologist who works in Ohio. I regularly talk to Landowners who complain non stop about the otters. According to the Landowners they destroy fisheries, starting with more lethargic catfish and moving to bass and other fish. I know a couple pond owners who regularly dispatch of any otters they see on their property. They pay a lot of money to stock their ponds and are protecting that investment.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
The Man

So what we suspect the fishers are doing to our turkeys and small game, the otters are about to do to our fish...........

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Otters were here in large numbers way before people were here. From everything I have read, fish populations were much higher at that point as well. Otters generally target slower moving fish such as suckers, carp, and minnows. I have seen them pursuing stocked trout. They have been in the river that I live on for 30 years and each year the fishing gets better and better for wild fish and stocked fish of all variety.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman
Otters were here in large numbers way before people were here. From everything I have read, fish populations were much higher at that point as well. Otters generally target slower moving fish such as suckers, carp, and minnows. I have seen them pursuing stocked trout. They have been in the river that I live on for 30 years and each year the fishing gets better and better for wild fish and stocked fish of all variety.
x2
I come aross their slides now & then. They have not harmed the fishing one bit IMO..

as far as small game and fishers - in my area the Great Horned Owls take out more turkeys off ther roosts than any fisher could dream of... Add in the hawks & coyotes - & Bear - who eat alot more poults & fawns than anyone blames them for - and yes the turkey pop could take a hit... The woods are still filthy wth them up here.

Pheasants - the PGC should issue each stocked bird a handgun - so it could blow its own brains out - cause they rarely last a day & night after they are tossed from the stocking truck... I've seen coyotes smiling from behind brushpiles - while wearing lobster bibs...as the PGC lunch wagon approaches.

Man the Pig -vs- Mother Nature.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was was just talking to a friend the other day he said he saw a pair of them in the river at Halifax the other day. I saw two about 5-6 years ago at fort hunter when I was duck hunting.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 03:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

I saw one this July and I noticed at the pond absolutely no frogs as they must have cleaned them up...I am talking about 32 ponds....NO frogs as There used to be hundreds...no more....Ill bet they will hit the fish next

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page