To our armed service people - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

To our armed service people

This past summer I took a young man named Tyler on a musky trip. My wife worked with Tyler at a job that college kids took to do something during thier summer break. She told me that he was a good kid and that he was facinated (even obsessed) with muskies (kinda like me), but that he said he didn't have much experience catching them. I had her invite him on a trip and he accepted. We even managed to catch a musky that day. Towards the day's end Tyler thanked me for taking him out and showing him the ropes. He said that my fish was only the 2nd musky he had ever seen in person, and that the other one he caught on a trip he which he was invited on by a Muskies First couple before he went to basic training. Immediately realizing that he was in the armed forces, I thanked him for his service to our country and his willingness to put his life on the line for the freedoms that I enjoy everyday. To which he replied modestly, that he was in the reserves, and that he had not been overseas in action yet, as if that mattered. I gave him my card, but he never called me back to go again, I'm guessing maybe he felt like he'd be intruding on me or something. Unfortunately, I do not have his number to invite him to go with me again. He quit that summer job he was working right before our trip. I assume he went back to college and hopefully on to bigger and better things.

In short, that kid made quite an impression on me, he was polite, well-mannered, appreciative, modest and obviously brave. A great young American. Now that this season is wrapping up, I am reflecting on what meant the most to me. I caught lots of fish.... I caught some big fish....but the chance I had to give something back to someone who was willing to put his life on the line for all of us, is one I would definitely like to have again. So, if there are any other service people like Tyler out there (past or present, or Tyler if your out there!), who feel like a day chasing muskies around in central or northeast PA sounds like a good time, send me a PM.

To all of the service men and women out there, I'm sure I speak for everyone on HPA when I say have a SAFE and HAPPY Holiday season and that we appreciate everything you do for all of us.

There is always a season!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page