Lake Erie (NW PA) info - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Lake Erie (NW PA) info

Well we thought we'd try something new and we're thinking about taking the boat to Erie for walleye. I've fished the western basin but I was hoping to get some info on fishing somewhere a little closer on Erie. Any have a recommendation of a decent place to put in/stay. Also, if you have some pointers on what to troll with it would be appreciated. I've been checking fishing reports but haven't been able to find much. I have all the gear (downriggers, dipsy divers, jet divers, reef runners, etc.) just need a few tips.

Thanks

There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books. And I have killed them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 02:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lake Erie (NW PA) info

I am fairly new to walleye fishing on erie. I go with some buddies and we mainly use lead core off planer boards. Usually have a few dypsies with spoons also. Using lures such as reef runners, thunder sticks etc off the lead core. A lot of guys do well drifting with worm harnesses but I only fished this way once... Walnut creek is a good place to launch. Stop at poor Richard bait and tackle and ask lots of questions...be careful...the big lake can turn nasty in a hurry...check marine forcast...lots of hotels in the area. Good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Been on Erie western basin a bunch of times on charters back in the day when you cast Erie Dearies all day. Hopefully this will come together.

There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books. And I have killed them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 02:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

From what I understand the western basin techniques can be much different from erie. Like I said we troll with lead core off boards....was stringing up rods today... Now the weather just needs to improve so we can get on the lake...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check reports on some of the other sites more related to fishing or, check on charter's websites up that way to see if they have been reporting limits or near limits on their websites.
This early in the season, I'd launch at the nut and head WNW until I started marking some fish. They can be close (35-50') this time of year.
I'd start the day by pulling clean board lines on one side and 1-2 oz on the other and some dipsies until you find a pattern. Use your GPS, mark the bites, and keep hitting the same spot until the bites stop then move on. Run plugs or meat on boards.

This early, it can be really hit or miss or you may have to weed through a bunch of junk that close. Check your lines often.

Suburban redneck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page