who trolls for musky - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
The Man

who trolls for musky

I have been for that last couple years and have hooked up on probably a dozen. most have been 30 -44 inch. one Hog that was pushing 50 but broke the net (now own a cradle).
i would like to compare notes with someone with more experience than i have. most of my bites are on fire tiger j13 but i just ordered some 8 in Believers (jionted with rattle) in perch , fire perch, and fire tiger.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: who trolls for musky

Not a big troller by design. Mostly just troll from spot to spot. That said it can be very effective, just not my cup of tea. Sounds like your getting fish, so doing it right. I'd definitely get a few more lures mastered so you can change depths easy. I like a line counter reel when trolling to be able to duplicate exactly when I catch a fish.

There is always a season!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Get some Legend Lures and never look back. Brian's baits are hard to beat. I love to cast but his baits put fish in the boat like it's nobody's business.

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
The Man

i will look at the legend lures thanks.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Fishdoctor, i just bought a short stout rod today for trolling bigger lures and was thinking of putting a line couter reel i have on it.
i know different lure and depths require more/less line but on average how far behind the boat are your lures? i been reading about guys running lures right in the prop wash....
thinking if i can get the depths i want closer to the boat i can turn a little sharper and follow the lake contour and structure better.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

I do a good bit of trolling usually short line around structure or contours. Always have one in the prop wash about 15 feet back you'd be surprised how many fish hit that close. Two 8 foot rods straight out the side with tips in the water, 2 6.6 rods straight down in the water and 1-3 in line off-shore planers out the side depending how many people are with me. Sometimes I'll put a smaller bait 200 feet strait out the back but mostly running between 20-40 feet back depending on depth and what I'm running. I do pretty well with the local made lures. Wiley's, Leo's, hammers, cranes, and mon-stars. Depth raiders and tuff shads do well also. I have boxes of lures but usually run the same ones I have confidence in. Do yourself a big favor and find a long mud flat with different depths and let out line til you hit bottom and find where all your lures run at different speeds then you can run them right where you want them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

We've caught fish right in the wash a few times, but usually let the shallower baits run back a bit more than the deep ones. I agree running short line much better for structure. I like less stout rods for trolling, and use a fiberglass one, but you'll be fine as long as you leave drag loose. I think you'll like the line counter. Good luck

There is always a season!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We used to fish for musky almost exclusively by trolling. We used these lures called "Spoonplugs." They were nothing more than bent metal with a diving lip on the front. They were sold in packs of several sizes, each designed to run at a different depth. You'd troll around the contours at one depth, and go back with a different size plug at the deeper depth until you covered all of the water you wanted to. These lures had a wobble action that was just dynamite. You trolled at a speed a lot faster than you'd think would catch fish. If you want to see what these things look like Google Buck Perry or spoonplugs.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

thanks i will look them up.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Banned

If you would like to know where you lure is in the water column and set other rod to that strike zone you must.

http://www.walleye101.com/calibrate_your_reels

I know that on fishing for eyes. But if you would like any idea of where your lures at while tolling and your rods are not calibrated you have no idea. one line counter can say 20 feet the other can say 20 feet and there could be 20 or greater feet difference between them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page