Help me land one of these 3 bad boys - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Help me land one of these 3 bad boys

I'm pursuing walleye pike and Muskie, I'm in central and was wondering if anyone had ever fished the kinzua dam? Heard its piled up with the three and was wondering if anyone could put me in a good spot or recommended spot there, I am not using a boat I will be on the shore so if anyone has any advice that would be great. Also I will fish the spillway too, any tips on even fishing these 3 species would be a lot of help, including lures and color and location. Thanks guys !

2E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 12:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Help me land one of these 3 bad boys

I've fished the Kinzua Dam, but not in a long time. It's a big lake, tough to fish with a boat, let alone without one. I wouldn't go so far to say it's "piled up" with walleye, pike and musky, although I've caught all of them there. We used to do a lot of trolling for muskies and had success around the Chapel Bay area off the north side of the Kinzua arm of the lake and just to the east of that area where the overhead power lines cross. If I were shore fishing I'd use large shiners, chubs or small perch as bait, and try to find areas where the flats drop off into creek beds as close to shore as possible. Try to find a underwater topo map if you can.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WexfordBowhunter
I've fished the Kinzua Dam, but not in a long time. It's a big lake, tough to fish with a boat, let alone without one. I wouldn't go so far to say it's "piled up" with walleye, pike and musky, although I've caught all of them there. We used to do a lot of trolling for muskies and had success around the Chapel Bay area off the north side of the Kinzua arm of the lake and just to the east of that area where the overhead power lines cross. If I were shore fishing I'd use large shiners, chubs or small perch as bait, and try to find areas where the flats drop off into creek beds as close to shore as possible. Try to find a underwater topo map if you can.
Thank you kindly

2E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

If anyone wants to share tips on the 3 around the area on how to / where to fish for them. Only caught 1 of the 3 which was a pike

2E
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

No better info than you just got on that water. Been 10 years since I was there. We found pike and walleyes, but not tons of them. That was from a boat, and we hit coves south of the bridge crossing. Seem to remember a bunch of Christmas trees thrown in them and creeks. If I were not in a boat, I'd be below the dam. Definitely far better odds of getting a lure in front of one. That is a big spillway compared to some around, but still much higher densities than the lake. Good luck!

There is always a season!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks doctor

2E

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page