Caught my PB muskie today - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Caught my PB muskie today

Not a great picture. It was 45-1/4" and VERY thick. I'd say 25-26 lbs.
Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:00 AM

Re: Caught my PB muskie today

Nice Fish!

Never Misses
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

super fish .CONGRATS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

WOW congrads.

Don't tell fish stories where folks know you especially, don't tell them where they know the fish.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Beautiful fish ! How about some details ? location, depth, lure, fight ect.

If Obama is the Answer? ...... How Stupid was the Question ?

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice musky, congratulations
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Well, as much as I'm not a fan, I caught it trolling. It hit a 6" perch Jake at about 10' down. It fought great.
I did try casting for 2-1/2 hours and saw nothing. Then, since I was alone, I thought, [censored], two lures in the water are better than one. The fish hit about 5 minutes after I started. I caught two more for the day, a 31" and 32". That's a darn good fish for Maryland. Our record is 29lbs12oz (I think that's right).

I added another pic to that site. One that compares a 44.5" fish from a few weeks ago (bottom) with the 45.25" fish from today:

LINK
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

Way to go Ed! I take it you opted for the local waters over a trip to the Susque or Juniata? Probably a good decision, since things are pretty stained up here. I love stained water in the summer, but I hate it in the winter.

Am I correct to say congrats on your biggest fish? FYI - If your state record is that low, you might want to get a DEC guy on speed dial for the next time you catch a big fishlike that(maybe even that one again), and see if you can get credit for a live released state record. Hard to tell from your pics how fat that particular fish is, but it looks nice. For reference my father-in-law weighed a VERY FAT 44 incher (I'll try to get that pic from him to post soon) last week on his 50 lb bogas at 32lbs. For reference that carp he is weighing in my 5 musky thread only weighed around 22 lbs on the same scales. I have no way to weigh fish on my boat, but I'm estimating the 48 I got last week at 35+. I did weigh one 48 incher years ago at just under 30 lbs in the summer. Fish are at their heaviest this time of year through spring. I know a guy (not my FIL) who weighs a lot of his fish before releasing them for info. His records indicate that in the summer most of the low 40 to 42" fish he catches weigh 18 to 22 lbs.

Sounds like you have a legit shot at catching a record down there. I think catching and releasing a record fish unharmed would be a great achievement and good for our sport to show people that with a little preparation there is a better way than killing the fish. Since our record is over 53lbs, I doubt I have to worry about a fish of those proportions too much. Especially in the flowing rivers that I fish. Maybe a big lake fish or a beast from the slow water of the Allegheny or something in the late winter/spring, but not where I fish most of the time. Keep catching them Ed, and just a thought on trying for a record, please don't feel like I'm pushing you. I know it would probably be a hassle to get someone to a point on the water to weigh, and then you would run the risk of the fish being hurt and people knowing your exact spot. On the plus side, a big girl certified this time of year as a record for your state, may elevate the bar enough to save the lives of many smaller fish killed by guys thinking they may have a record. Plus if you have to have adelayed release this is the best time of the year interms of fish helth and water conditions (temp, O2). It would be nice if someone would put your record at/or above the 40lb mark. That takes a truly proportioned beast to do that, and it needs to be caught during the right time of the year when most guys have left the water for the woods or a comfy couch!

There is always a season!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Way to go Ed! I take it you opted for the local waters over a trip to the Susque or Juniata? Probably a good decision, since things are pretty stained up here. I love stained water in the summer, but I hate it in the winter.

Am I correct to say congrats on your biggest fish?
Yeah, I looked at the Susky, and it had risen from 3.4' to near 6.0' in Harrisburg. I'd love to hit the Juniata, but would rather do it with a partner...I was alone.

Yep, my personal best.

I added a third pic to that link. It compares a 44.25" fish from a few weeks ago to the 45.25" from Friday. There is a huge girth difference.
Pic Site
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
If your state record is that low, you might want to get a DEC guy on speed dial for the next time you catch a big fishlike
It would be nice to have a released record, but I don't care too much about the record. Muskie fishing in MD isn't too publicized, and although it would publicize catch and release, I'd be happy knowing I released a big girl for breeding next year. We have a good Dept of Natural Resources (DNR) guy, but he also doesn't publicize muskie fihing much. I don't think he would rush out and verifiy a record, though.

I was fishing alone. I have a small box that I made to hold my camera. It points at me at my boat's console. I usually open up the zoom all the way. I forgot to check it yesterday, therefore, I didn't get a full shot of the fish. It also sits low on the boat, so the pics end up from that perspective. AND, my digital scale's batteries were dead. I've only weighed a couple fish, but when I do it, I put the fish in the big Beckman net, then hang the net on the scale. I would've really liked an accurate measurement on this on.

I'll just have to try to catch one bigger...perhaps this same fish next year. Or her Mama.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page