Lake Marburg or Lake Redman - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Lake Marburg or Lake Redman

Anyone fish Lake Marburg (Hanover, PA) or Lake Redman (York, PA)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 08:15 PM
New Arrival

Re: Lake Marburg or Lake Redman

I fish both.

Lake Redman has a great Panfish and Striper population, if you know where to find them. Also decent numbers of Northern Pike.

Lake Marburg is great for Walleye from the shore, Spring and Fall; for Northern Pike and Bowfin, as well as Yellow Perch and Channel Cats.

Redman is one third the size of Marburg--shallow by comparison and turbid. PA Fish and Game classifies Redman a warm water fishery. Marburg is deep and clear and weedy. Both lakes offer a great variety of species once you get to know them.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I was told that there was some Musky in Redman. I didn't know there were Pike. I'd like to get on some of the Striper action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Part of the Community

I know that Lee Snyder used to fish Marburg a lot for muskies. He used to troll the thermocline. He trolled, with two rods and knew how much line to let out to troll through the thermocline. He had a special rig with a big crank bait. He removed the tail treble and sent a spoon off that a few yards back. He caught some big muskie there. He did it for years, taking notes, etc. When he started getting up in age, he started sharing that info. He was surprised to see that Tom Gelb did the same thing. Tom published an article in Musky Hunter magazine a couple of years ago describing the same system. Lee wrote to Tom and they exchanged a few paper mail messages about the whole thing.

I think there were three or four lakes that Lee fished. Marburg, Redman, and one or two others whose names escape me.

Ed
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Marburg is definitely a big fish lake. Saw the biggest musky of my life there.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 AM
New Arrival

A big fish lake for sure, and the best Northern Pike water in its part of the state. I've fished Pike and Musky there since the mid eighties, live bait only however. The creek arms, specifically the deeper flats and at their mouths are excellent areas for large Esox. Ice out, or when the ice has receded a few dozen feet from shore can be a very exciting period. Great Walleye and Yellow Perch fishing in the creek arms as well--Spring and Fall.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:12 AM
New Arrival

I'm new to walleye, I fish Marburg. Can you recommend bait or lures, water depth, fishing speed. I've been trolling for eyes and had no luck.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:31 PM
New Arrival

I primarily fish from shore at Marburg, reserving my boating attention to Prettyboy Reservoir. However, from shore I do very well on Walleye.

Spring and Fall Walleye seem to follow Yellow Perch schools into the creek arms--Marburg Flats, Black Rock, Georges Flat and Blooming Grove. At Marburg, Walleye, when relatively shallow, orient to weedbeds deep and shallow. I fish the shallow ends of the creek arms with 1/8-1/2 ounce jigheads--size of jig dependent upon whether or not I am also fishing for Yellow Perch at the same time, and tip the jighead with a live minnow caught from one of the area creeks. I have also had success with larger jigheads tipped with live Yellow Perch. I've been defeated more than once wen using a light tackle set-up--six or eight pound mono, by Walleye well over six pounds.

Aside from jig and minnow, I have had success on jig and twister tails, thrown out onto the edge of weedbeds, in depths from six to over twenty feet, fished slow in the Winter, slightly faster in warmer weather. Silver and Blue and Chartreuse Ratt-L-Traps produce nicely, as do Shad Raps in Perch color and similarly colored Countdowns.

Pre-spawn Walleye seem to congregate around the mouths of creek arms, staging in deeper water around March or a bit earlier. Again, livebait, crankbaits and twister tails produce.

Many boat anglers troll the islands, underwater saddles and humps, in deep water. I can't really comment on trolling too much, I'm sure someone else could advise you there.

Best of luck!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 PM
New Arrival

Thanks Lucius for all the info. I think I need to do more casting/finesse work.
Do you use any crawler rigs?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 PM
New Arrival

You're welcome. No I don't use crawler rigs, some Marburg fisherman love them however.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page