The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Trout opener

4K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  Laylow 
#1 ·
Nobody around. Caught over 40 fish in an hour. Was weird but a good time. Nice to do something besides sit in the house.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Nobody around..... uh, uh, Except that old man who gave me his limit..... yeah, yeah... that’s the ticket.

Reactions: bohunr
#9 ·
It did feel like I was cheating. My first 2 stops were really good spots that usually draw a crowd. I was the only one at either spot. Had one car stop at the second spot and yell at me that fishing didn't open yet.. Not sure how many I caught but I would say well over 30. I stopped as soon as I had 5 that were hooked bad.

#10 ·
I went out for a little while this afternoon. Actual "fishing" time was probably only about 15-20 minutes. Wanted to get the gear tested and run a new rod I had built for me. It was busier than I expected. . Not opening day busy but Sunday after opener busy. First cast, First fish. Nice big 20+" which was released.

Second Fish. Also released. Perspective on size that is a F7 2.5" Rapala which is what I caught all fish on today. I caught 8 fish in all in the short time I fished. I was going to keep one for grill as is tradition but I did not have a stringer.

On the down side - my 6 year old waders have now sprung a leak..... which is partially the reason for the limited fishing time lol

#12 · (Edited)
I ended up catching 19 at the creek I go to. The PFBC personnel were too lazy to carry fish to the spot I normally fish. Volunteers typically put about 15 buckets there but this time it seemed more like 2-3 so after wasting some time there I had to do some prospecting and finally found some fish. I caught one nice Rainbow around 18-19". There were about a half dozen fishermen when I arrived about 10 AM. More came in the afternoon as more found out about opening day.

#18 ·
Kind of reminds me of the stocked Pheasants where all the locals know what day, time and location where the birds are released.
Passed a local stream today on the way home from Turkey scouting at a local farm.
Social distancing ? not even close. It's amazing how fast the word got out.
Reminded me of a bunch of Vultures sitting on a roof top waiting for a road kill. Sad

#19 ·
Where I was at and looking way down stream, I could see a lot of activity at the bridge which was unusual because there isn't really anything there. No "hole", just some rapids and not much else. When I left, I went out that way and crossed the bridge to look down and see what was going on. There it was, a big palomino in the fast water with about 6 people elbow to elbow trying to catch it. I guess some things are just more important to some than others.

#20 · (Edited)
Ya zero glory in banging them up on this opener. If you were lucky enough to get out you hammered them while the rest of the fishing population had to watch and wait for another day. True have and have not situation today. Sad but it is what it is. First time ever that PA didn't have an 'Opening day'. Congrats to everyone that made it out at the drop of the hat.

#25 ·
I hope everyone that was in on the secret of opening day had a good time. I understand that it was necessary to thin the crowds out, but sneaking the day in was pretty underhanded on the part of the fish commission as far as I'm concerned. I wonder how many license sales they will lose over this? Hopefully enough to impart a lesson.

#27 ·
Happy for the guys that were able to get out today. Hopefully waters will continue to get stocked in the coming weeks because I would like my boys to enjoy some decent fishing. For me personally my thoughts are consumed with scouting for deer and turkey season so I am sort of unaffected by the last minute announcement. I am sure we will get into some good fishing in May. Always preferred trout fishing a few weeks after the opener anyhow because there are a lot less guys out there.

#28 ·
Sadly, after this weekend trout season is over for many. I don't think you'll see many fishermen next week. I normally fish 5 different counties during the season, but without in season stocking information there's no point rolling the dice and driving a long distance hoping to hit a stream right after a stocking. Besides, we're also advised to fish close to home. There's one small stream close to my home but it's heavily fished and not very good. The closest decent stream to me is a half hour drive. So I enjoyed my opening day but I guess it's time to think about next year.

#31 ·
I'd never guessed so many adults would be bawling and snotting over missing out on a day of fishing for a bunch of tank raised, round nose fish.
The complaining and moaning I heard from people today just reinforces why I don't even fish for tank clankers any more.
Don't be so hard on them. Some guys only go for stocked trout and this entire season for stocked trout is basically one day, so I truly feel sorry for the guys who were unable to get out.

#33 ·
I enjoyed my subdued Opening Day. I went to a couple of different places before getting out of the car. Stopped at the Stony in Norristown, and figured I might as well just go lick a doorknob, based on how many cars were lining the "NO PARKING" spaces and filling the parking lots...there is absolutely no way that the people were keeping a distance from each other.

I drove to another local-ish creek, where I've fished before. Was going to go to another spot that I like, but while passing another parking lot, I noticed a few spots open. Rather than get to the other spot to find it full, I parked and fished there.

Ended up doing pretty well, and everyone maintained at least 6' away from each other. Pretty nice day, for only getting out for about 2 hours.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.