The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Trout Season is Opened!!!!!!!

7K views 67 replies 43 participants last post by  bohunr 
#1 ·
Trout season is opening today April 7th at 8am!!!!!! Go to the Fish Commission website and read about it.

STATEWIDE MENTORED YOUTH TROUT DAY - Canceled for 2020
STATEWIDE TROUT OPENING DAY - April 7

https://www.fishandboat.com/Pages/covid-19.aspx

#2 ·
Another opening day that I missed. Retired guys like me looked forward to the weekdays after opening day. But now with thousands of layoffs, people will be out 'n about fishing all the time!! Not that I blame 'em. Mental health is as important if not more so than physical health.

Get out 'n fish and enjoy the outdoors!! Just stay away from others......practice what the fish do to you....you know....the "Stay away from that guy" thing.>:)

#64 ·
"Get over it." Yeah. I'll pass that along to my 10 yr old nephew. He found out about it when they saw a bunch of people out fishing. My brother came down to help on the planting since it was the first day his wife (a nurse) had off for while. We found out about it at 330 when his mom called to report it that now there are A LOT of people fishing, instead of just the handfuls she had been seeing since Saturday.

There have been people out every day since Saturday and there is no way a fine would stick. It is printed right on the cover, April 4th.. That is why they opened it, because there was no way they could actually make fines stick and they probably got thousands of complaints/reports. They give free fishing days on memorial day and July 4th for the same reason, the wardens are off too so there is no way enforce.

#6 ·
EXCELLENT solution!!!

I had to double check to be sure this was valid....it is. A great way to avoid those huge crowds at the holes....that had me concerned. And hopefully this will cut down the number of people heading long distances to their camps in lesser effected areas. After all many will hesitate to bother to make the trip if it's not going to be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Good call PFBC!!!

#12 ·
Common sense dictated that something would change this year. I bet a lot of people are scrambling this morning to hit the streams. I don't even think the stream by me was stocked yet as they usually wait till a few days before hand to do it cause the water quality is low.

Montour Run in Allegheny County. Anyone know if it was even stocked yet?

#30 ·
Due to the times I can see why they made this call. Unfortunately I bet it has a lot of people upset. many streams have not been stocked and the streams that have been stocked were mostly only stocked at places with road access. this will now jam everyone into the hole by the road that was previously already too crowded to me.

I usually do not fish stocked streams. I do not have a desire to catch a fish that was just placed in a hole and once it bits your hook barley fights and just able to drag it in.

I prefer to go on adventures. Hike into remote streams, catch native trout that may have never seen a person before. Nothing better than hooking into a native and fighting it on the fly pool.

And the best part of all. I very rarely see another person that didn't exit the same truck I did.

Happy Fishing to all. Be SAFE!

#31 ·
I understand the intent here and think it’s a good move to prevent crowds and potential exposure. But, there are two things that bother me about how they did it:

1. For those looking forward to getting their kids on fish with less people around, that’s over with. Many may not realize this, but not investing in our youth will only lead to the demise of our hunting and fishing heritage. Less people are passing this down or didn’t grow up doing it and don’t know how to teach their kids. Now they are less likely to take them out with what is what is currently happening.

2. Not letting the public know what streams are stocked, is a big problem. We pay into these fish being stocked. You know they are all well informed, much like the PGC and our pheasant stocking program. Don’t need specifics on what section, just would like to know it’s stocked.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.