Elk Co trout stockings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Elk Co trout stockings

Can’t wait to help with the stockings. Some of the in season stockings are in the middle of the week, should be great for us retired people. Who’s going fishing around Ridgway this year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 09:06 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'll be in the area to fish from around mid May to mid Jun. My radius has been expanding over several years, but is mostly McKean, Northern Elk and Cameron County. I know I need to start to expand into Potter, but that would also mean getting up 30-45 min earlier than my usual 4-430 AM.
I spend very, very little time on any stocked streams anymore. I do like to get out a morning or two to help with the stockings when I can though. Have to admit I was very disappointed when I helped with a mid-season stocking in that area a couple of years ago. It was just stop the truck, dump all the buckets where the truck was parked, then hurry to the next stop. I even got told to hurry up when I tried to walk 100 yds downstream at one stop.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 09:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

jjgeorge2, if you ever get the chance to fish the streams of Potter county , they are fine streams to fish, good luck fishing this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 10:09 AM

I fish mostly for wild trout but I helped stock a local stream last year where I live in SE PA and plan to again. Unfortunately, most people just dump the buckets at the stocking points. I wade in and distribute the trout over a wider area, putting them next to structure. Not everyone likes that. I once had a guy yell at me that we’re supposed to put the fish “in the middle where they can catch them”. I wish they had float boxes like I saw when I used to help stock a stream in SC PA. That really spreads them out better.
Mikeymjr23 likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 09:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Traveler View Post
I fish mostly for wild trout but I helped stock a local stream last year where I live in SE PA and plan to again. Unfortunately, most people just dump the buckets at the stocking points. I wade in and distribute the trout over a wider area, putting them next to structure. Not everyone likes that. I once had a guy yell at me that we’re supposed to put the fish “in the middle where they can catch them”. I wish they had float boxes like I saw when I used to help stock a stream in SC PA. That really spreads them out better.
I help stock 2 streams in my area of SEPA, and have for the last few years. I look forward to it each year. There is a club that has a bunch of guys show up, with a couple of Gators and live wells, so we can get the fish to all areas, rather than just right at the main holes.

It really does require the volunteer efforts to get it done. Without people volunteering, the fish are going to be dumped at the easiest locations.

I'm fortunate that my employer allows 4 hours per month of volunteer time to be added into my regular 40hr/week job.
tunadawg and .257 like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

sounds like a good boss to work for.
Mikeymjr23 likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 10:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
sounds like a good boss to work for.
I appreciate it. It ensures that I can do both of the stockings for the local streams that I fish the majority of the time.
NorthernPotterCo likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 12:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Been "mostly" dump + run here in Berks for many years. A few creeks will get float stocked and some "farmers" meet the truck at the bridge and take a few buckets. But most trout are dumped close to the bridge(or other stops). Unless we have dry/drought like spring fish will disperse into other areas of the creeks - sometimes quite far from stocking points. I helped for many years back when I was a trout nut (LOL). My main motivation was to find out which landowners got stocked and which properties were bypassed due to being POSTED. (not that trout don't swim past the signs - but I don't walk past them)
Mikeymjr23 likes this.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 09:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

This past year, there was a guy around my age (mid-30's), who showed up when we did, as he followed the truck. He walked by, and the club members asked if he wanted to help stock them. The guy's response was something along the lines of "I paid for my trout stamp, I did my part".

The hole he went to got 1 bucket, while the others around it got 2-3. If you're already fishing, no biggie...but if you're going to simply follow the truck, and then the buckets, why not take a bucket and dump it in a hole?
NorthernPotterCo likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 09:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bet he wondered and was surprised that you guys did that and probably not happy either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in