Noob steelhead needs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Noob steelhead needs

So im heading to Michigan in april for steelhead. Never did it before. Besides floats and spawn sacs what should i gather for tackle between now and then? Beads, spinners, plugs? Not sure what the go too colors are. Any insight woukd be appreciated.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk_Huntir View Post
So I’m heading to Michigan in April for steelhead. Never did it before. Besides floats and spawn sacs what should I gather for tackle between now and then? Beads, spinners, plugs? Not sure what the go to colors are. Any insight would be appreciated.
What streams in Michigan are you looking at fishing? I fished the White River a long time ago. I haven’t fished the PA steelhead streams in a long time but, my guess is that the MI streams are larger and likely deeper than the PA streams. You could probably try spoons as well. I’m sure there is some information available online or through some tackle shops where you’re headed.

Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

West side? Manistee/PM? Some weirds duuds out there. Had a guy, totally wasted say to his buddy, these boys from PA! ..and they followed us back to the vehicle. They were too drunk to keep up. Pack some heat if you’re fishing any of the dams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Western MI. Staying north of Grand Rapids on the White. Tons of water within an hour north or south. Im thinking White, PM, Big/Little Manistee depends where the fish are is suppose. I been digging through online resources, but you know how that can be when going in blind. Some of the rigs seem foreign and im not sure how practical or efficient they actually are. I suppose i am looking to flatten the learning curve a little before i head out and get some real first hand knowledge. I would prefer to have some tackle ready before i head out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are heading to Michigan solely to pursue steelhead I would strongly recommend the tributaries off Lake Ontario since IMO the fish are larger and fight extremely hard...
As far as tackle we use centerpins with beads and pink worms...

Good luck,

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
If you are heading to Michigan solely to pursue steelhead I would strongly recommend the tributaries off Lake Ontario since IMO the fish are larger and fight extremely hard...
As far as tackle we use centerpins with beads and pink worms...

Good luck,
Thanks EP. Michigan has free lodging at a buddy's house so MI this year for sure. Once i am setup i will definitely be heading to NY to give it a go since its closer. The number of Tribs off Lake Michigan and the ease of access seem much more fishermen friendly than NY. Regarding pinning, just starting out it seems to be the new purest form of steelheading, akin to flyfishing. while i am not opposed to pin fishing i will be using conventional spinning gear for this trip. 30series reel 12# fluro, 10-6" med action.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:23 PM

Clear Float, micro swivel, 6lb Flourocarbon leader, micro split shot. If using sacks size 10 or 12 hooks, single eggs 14. 1/64 maribou jigs in black and white tipped with a wax worm. Alot of people use power bait on the bottom and power worms under a float. Trout beads under a float. I use 6lb Flourocarbon Invisix for the main line so I don't have to use the swivel and tie on a leader. Go on youtube there is alot of great info on there. Have fun

I LOVE Hunting,Fishing, my Excalibur and that thing that makes men weak and starts wars.

Last edited by BMAN; 01-15-2020 at 09:28 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the direction Bman. I will add some of that to my list. You think 12# it too heavy for main line? Looking to go with a 10-6" Lami X11.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:44 PM

Honestly I don't know much about Michigan but I have friends that fish browns, steelhead and salmon in New York who use 12 as their mainline. They tie on their florocabon leader to it.

I LOVE Hunting,Fishing, my Excalibur and that thing that makes men weak and starts wars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page