Finger Lakes NY - Update - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By LancFisherman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Finger Lakes NY - Update

Hello Again,

If any of you remember, I had posted on here about the Finger Lakes Salmon/Trout runs. Well we went on a 3 day trip last week, so I figured I would share with you the results.

Day one: We started off fishing a gorgeous creek, with some amazing waterfalls. I won't name where I was as I know the locals like to keep things a secret up there, but if you have been to spots I was at, you will definitely recognize it. The fish are not able to make it far up this first stream due to a waterfall about a quarter mile up from the mouth. There were a few guys fishing the main pools when we got there, so we headed up stream of the waterfall in search of some trout. Unfortunately, it was a very shallow fast stream with no real pools. We only found one fishable pool, and I missed a good rainbow. We walked the whole way up to a giant waterfall, which had a big deep pool. I managed a nice brown on a spoon, but that was it. We then headed back down to the mouth, and found that just about everyone had left. So, we hit the main pool which was full of Atlantic Salmon. They were super finicky though, but I did manage to land one and hook into two others on a trout magnet.

After fishing the pool for an hour or so, we decided to head to lunch, and a different lake. The tributary on this lake was much smaller, and I don't believe any fish had made it in yet. I ended up with just one small rainbow, which I assume was the offspring of a steelhead. My buddy landed 3 more in addition.

Day two: Mother nature had other plans for us on Day two. It rained all night, which blew out every stream. It dropped 40 degrees, and we had 45 mph gusts of wind. We tried to fish the main lake near mouths of creeks, but it was just two tough.

Day three: Most of the larger streams that we wanted to fish were still too high and muddy fish effectively. Rather than spend our last day trying those, we decided to hit a few much smaller streams that had already come down a bit. These streams are still the spawning grounds for steelhead, brown trout, and salmon. I think we were still a bit too far upstream even with all of the rain the day before. It was still a nice stream to fish, and I managed a little brown along with some small rainbows/steelhead. I missed a very big brown in one of the pools, probably closer to 20 inches. My buddy Travis ended up killing it on a spinner at the last waterfall, pulling in a few 12-17 inch browns.

While it was a little disappointing that we didn't get to hit the salmon and big browns as much as we wanted, it was still a gorgeous area. I will most definitely be back.

For those interested, I did make a couple of videos as always. See below.

Loggy, loridr and Trout Traveler like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:38 PM

Thanks for posting the videos and congrats on your first Atlantic Salmon.

TT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:06 PM

very nice scenery , sounds like you had some good times regardless of the weather , thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thank you! Was my only salmon on the East Coast. I caught a couple Kokanee in Montana but that's it. I will definitely have to go get my revenge some day.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:24 PM
Sage

Enjoyed your YT clips!! Thanks!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Enjoyed your YT clips!! Thanks!!
Thank you! Definitely not gonna win any awards for film making, but it is a lot of fun to do!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in