November Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

First Outing in November

The first Saturday of the month had low temperatures overnight and most streams were very high from the recent heavy rain, but I knew one stream would be fishable. Due to the cold temperature, I took my time getting to the creek. I waded in shortly before 11:30 AM, a very late start for me. This small limestone stream has been very good to me over the years, and I've had some huge days on the creek. I didn't expect that this time though.

I waded in below a mid-stream dam and on my fourth cast, a small brown trout pounced. My first trout of the day was a 9 inch wild brown. I missed several strikes before I landed 11 1/2 and 8 1/2 inch browns on back to back casts. I figured I was off to a fast start. I was wrong. When I moved upstream of the dam, the action was very slow. I caught only two more trout the rest of my first angling hour, browns of 9 and 6 inches.

The next hour was equally slow. I tried a different spinner and Niti spoon but got little response. I tied on a small plug and caught browns of 10 1/2, 9, and 9 1/2 inches. The flurry was short lived and I had no response for the next ten minutes, so I switched back to a spinner and caught a 7 inch brown to end the second hour.

I had caught only 9 trout in my first two hours. I often do better than that there in one hour. I wondered if maybe it had been recently fished, possibly even earlier in the day, but I didn't see any boot tracks. I chalked it up to the 49 degree water temperature.

In the third hour, the action improved markedly. Trout began to follow and hit more aggressively, especially in the last half of the third hour. I caught 6 browns between 6 1/2 and 9 inches in the first half of the hour, and 12 more in the bottom half of the hour, the largest being 12 inches. I took the water temperature near the end of the third hour and it was 54 degrees. I believe that was the reason for the improvement in the action.

Hour number four was even better, as I caught 21 butter colored wild browns. They ranged from 4 1/2 to 12 inches. I fished an additional 15 minutes and caught 3 more browns before I decided to head to a freestoner that I hadn't fished in over 20 years. I could have stayed and likely continued to catch a lot of trout, but I wanted to see if I could catch a big brown.

When I arrived, there wasn't much daylight left. I fished in a small park and the habitat was not good. I caught a small wild brown and was heading to fish a very nice looking spot when a woman with a bunch of kids abruptly led them down to that spot and the kids started throwing rocks in the water. I climbed the bank and walked around them. Unfortunately, I had only one more hit before it got too dark. I will likely try the stream again, but upstream from where I was fishing.

For the day, I caught 52 wild browns; 51 in the first stream and only one in the second. I fished the first stream for 4.25 hours and the second stream for only half an hour. The largest trout were three 12 inchers. I had a larger trout follow and had a heavy trout strike on the first stream, but I missed on the hook set. I walked 4.5 hours on the day.

The long range forecast is not very good, but I hope it improves for next weekend. I didn't take any pictures during the day.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 12-12-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Cold Fishing

I fished on Saturday despite the very cold overnight temperature. I would have preferred to fish on Sunday, but I have a prior commitment.

I drove to a medium sized limestone stream that I had fished once earlier in the year. With the cold temperature, I expected very slow action. I hoped to be able to get a couple of big trout to compensate. I took my time getting to the stream. The air temperature was only 33 degrees when I waded in.

I didn't have any hits or follows for the first 15 minutes. I was thinking about trying a plug when I made a cast into a deep pool. After a couple cranks of the handle of my reel the spinner stopped, and I set the hook. The rod throbbed with the weight of a heavy trout. I was sure I had a hog brown on the line. After a couple minutes I saw the trout and seeing it confirmed it. I brought the big male to my feet, snapped a couple of pictures, and measured him. The tape read 18 1/2 inches. Off to the races! Or so I thought.

On the next cast, another trout followed, but didn't hit. I took the water temperature, which was a chilly 42. I moved upstream and didn't get any action at all. I saw a fly fisherman on the bridge upstream. I asked if he had any luck and he didn't. He told me he had already fished a long section ahead of me. We wished each other luck and I continued upstream trying a few places here and there but predictably didn't get any action. I waded out and walked upstream to the vicinity of where he said he had stopped.

A short distance upstream, a small brown grabbed my spinner and in short order I landed the 8 incher. A trout followed without hitting. A little further upstream, I landed another 8 incher, then a 7 incher on the next cast. I fished a long stretch with only a couple of follows before landing a 10 inch brown.
Further upstream I noticed movement on the bank. Two people were ahead of me but only one was fishing. The angler told me that he hadnít caught anything to that point. I waded out and re-entered the stream further upstream.

The next hour produced four trout, all wild browns ranging from 10 to 11 Ĺ inches. I had hoped to see another big trout, but none were in evidence. With the cold water and full sun on the water, I didnít expect to see any.
I covered ground quickly and fished another 1.25 hours. Five more browns, ranging from 7 Ĺ to 10 inches were added to my tally. For the day, I caught 14 wild browns, all on spinners, in 4.25 hours. Two trout slipped the hook. On the day I walked 5.3 miles.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 PM

My fingers were cold just reading that. Nicely done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
My fingers were cold just reading that. Nicely done.
Thanks. The air temperature reached the mid 40s but the WT didn’t change yesterday. On the previous outing the WT increased by 5 degrees, which is a lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page