Planning on going to Erie for steelhead! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Planning on going to Erie for steelhead!

Anybody have any pointers for going up to Erie for steelhead? Especially bait for spinning gear or flys? And some public access areas? I am a young angler and go to a college near Erie, so i really don’t know the area that well. I have always really wanted to catch a steelhead! So Any help or knowledge we be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 07:56 PM

ArcGIS Web Application

This map should help you out. Walnut Creek and Elk Creek are the most popular.

I'm no expert, but I've always done well on powerbait(peach color) and egg sacks.

Go to Poor Richards bait shop, I'm sure they can give you some tips.

Last edited by Marcus99; 10-24-2019 at 07:59 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 03:47 PM
Regular Visitor

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/53-...head-help.html

This thread from a few weeks ago should be a good start for you.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need more help or info. I do lots of steelhead fishing and would be glad to help you out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 12:09 AM
New Arrival

egg sacks r hard to beat for bait. if water is clear and low use single egg or minnows also, skein works good, small pieces, like the size of an egg sack or smaller. if the water is low and clear go with natural color and bait and stay on the smaller size, if its stained you can go bigger and brighter. as for fly a pink estaz egg is hard to beat or small single egg pattern. try to get a natural drift with no drag and a small strike indicator which is key with using flies and keep you bait at the same level or a little higher as the fish, float it right thru them is the idea. use as light of tippet as you can get away with. look for the places with least amount of fisherman, which is hard but very possible, wake up early and be that guy that's there an hr ahead of the rest. when you find fish stick with them until you get pushed out or tired of catching fish. also, if you see a bunch of guys fishing an are on a given day, avoid it until the next morning, then get up early and be there the next morning. observe for a day. theres loads of opportunity on the tribs. as for access, get a map. all the public access areas are legit. a lot of times you don't have to walk to far to get into fish. the key is be to be early and don't leave fish to find fish....after a couple trips it becomes easier...me and my buddy used to go out every year but it got old to me...I got tired of fishing the same places and fighting the same crowds, that being said you absolutely need to do it because it is a blast, if it wasn't a 6 hr ride for me I would still be doing it but the cons out weighted the pros in this case...now I chase walleye on the susquahanna because its a lot closer and something different for me...btw we always went out over the week of thanksgiving, as long as conditions held out and the tribs wernt blown out we hammered them and we did 75% of our fishing on elk, all public acess, fish middle elk to upper elk and as long as the fish are up through the trib you we be fighting fish
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 02:23 PM

For best fishing, go when the water is green, not clear or brown. Personally, I would rather fish slightly brown over clear water any day.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/YooHoo/Bernice/Lucy
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page