Salmon River. 10/11 _ 10/15 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Salmon River. 10/11 _ 10/15

Got back last night from our annual trip to Pulaski. This was my 30th year since my first trip. Most years I made 2-3 trips and missed a few years due to work and family. The last few years I've planned our trips around this time as steelhead are usually around and the salmon fishing is more consistent upstream with the chance for a late push if it rains.

Our group of five included 2 rookies. We arrived friday at lunchtime and decided to head to ellis cove area as it is a slow water area with few snags and easy wading. Everyone hooked a few but not many fish around. Left at dark and tried to get a table at LD's but it was packed, went to the BIB bbq and mexican restaurant and it was not bad.

Started saturday back at Ellis Cove and again hooked a half dozen or so each. Left and ate at Altmar Hotel. Most of us got the hot roast beef sandwich and it was amazing. Decided to head below town for the evening to look for trout. I hooked one about 15# that went airborne and tossed the hook. I saw about 20 salmon moving and we had about a dozen kings on. Stopped and waited an hour for some pizza and wings at Stefanos, well after an hour the pizza was done and we didnt wanted wait 30 min more for the wings so we took it to go, it was decent.

Sunday we started down low again. Based on the Dsr report/rain /wind. It sucked. Bailed out at 9 and got breakfast at some diner, it was great. Decided to park in Altmar and walk to wirehole. We hit 3 steelhead and a few kings. Took a break to look at the hatchery and heard the upper fly zone was doing good. Ran back to the room and grabbed my spare fly pole for the one spin guy and took off my running line and put on a fly line. The fish was good. We all hooked up a bunch. Ate at the Lakeside, it was good. Beer was $$ .

Headed to the upper zone Monday and stayed all day, besides lunch at Altmar Hotel. A pile of fresher kings poured up all day and at times we had doubled and triples on. I landed a decent steelhead and around 20 kings. New guys even landed several each and finally saw a good day. Ate at Lakeside again.

Only 3 of us fished Tuesday till 9. The fresh fish were gone from where we fished Monday. Still zombies around. Hooked up on 7 fresh ones or so and landed 3. Others did a bit less.

Overall it was a fun trip. We all landed fish with more on Monday than all the other days combined. There were no fish down low. Also no people, it was crazy seeing the town pool and ballpark empty.

I tried to avoid the trestle area as it was packed. I'm sure it held fish above and below. I also am not a fan of the fly areas. I use fly gear but think the idea is dumb till after salmon season, but it saved the trip. I swear half the people have no idea about the rules for it. Still saw many guys with spin gear or straight mono. The 1/8 oz rule on weight....haha lol lol. Guys were bombing 4 #2's just like down river.

Overall only a met a few jerks. Most guys were actually pretty polite. With the lack of fish I figured guys would be going crazy to hook a few. Maybe if we fished in the circus areas mid river it would have been different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:07 PM

Well Indy, it looks like you had an above average trip.....
I also thought the fly zone produced better then the lower portions of the river.
Just up stream from Ellis proved good for us but we were there 5 days ahead of you....
I like the restaurant critiques along with the fishing reports..
Always want to have a good place to eat especially if the fishing sucks.....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:14 PM
New Arrival

I used to go to the Salmon River every year. I liked going after the spawning chinooks in the fly area. They weren't hard to catch off the beds. It was awesome when the water was at just the right level - I am a tall guy, and when it ran right, I could wade across, but anybody shorter than me couldn't! I'd have the whole side of the upper fly zone to myself. Fun times. You definitely felt like you were where the action was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

We fished the run in ellis cove with all the drift boats. Same place you did. It was just very very slow. Like 4 or so fish an hour between 30 guys slow.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:16 PM

They are forecasted to get some decent rain fall today and into tomorrow up there.
If that does not trigger anything significant then I think you can assume accurately that it's over for this year.....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Sounds like you had a good trip, not to mention some good food! lol. Excellent dining report as well. No Ponderosa? lol

Never Misses
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Ponderosa was beyond packed everyday. I haven't eaten there in at least 15 years. Maybe I'm missing out? Still a few places I would like to try, and many I'll never go to again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page