Salmon Report 10/6 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By beagler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Salmon Report 10/6

Headed up to the river for my 5th trip this year, again another tough one. Started off up high at Ellis. Saw about15 fish going through in the morning. I managed to go 1-6. Out of the 50 or 60 guys in my stretch of river I was the only one hooking fish for the most part. Things petered out and we made a move. Tried behind the museum. I didn’t see a single fish/hookup there.
We decided to take a ride over to the Sandy Creeks after that since they recently had some rain up there. There were a decent amount of cars in several of the parking areas but most of the guys we talked to that were returning to the parking lots said very few fish around. We decided to return to the SR.
We stopped at the ballpark and learned that they had been hooking a few fish earlier in the morning but things had died out.
I wanted to pick up and head to Oswego but my counterparts didn’t feel like trekking over so we elected to return to Ellis.
I ventured down lower below the sharp bend and found some fish holding in the deep pool but was unable to hook any. I saw a handful of fish hooked\landed there.
I ventured a short distance below the pool in some shallower/faster water. I actually spotted a few salmon in the section spawning digging out redds. I had a difficult time casting to them with my fly rod due to tree branches surrounding the shoreline. I managed to hook three there but was unable to land any.
After that we left and stopped at the Ponderosa to experience some of Pulaski’s finest dining. I’m not sure that there are a great many more fish that will be entering the system. My buddies with boats tell me they are catching/marking very few fish out in front of the river and the estuary is empty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA735D7E-ED6E-4B36-915A-3A334660875E_1570451261996.jpg (1.32 MB, 19 views)

Never Misses

Last edited by beagler; 10-07-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was told by a few that the mother load hasnt even got to the river yet and the big run is 2 weeks behind. Well that stinks if your assessment is correct. I havent made it up this year yet and was hoping for another good run before i decide to head up.

4B
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

The hatchery is actually full right now as well. I hope more fish come but not so sure.

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Regular Visitor

I fished DSR 9/24 through 9/29......overall, it was pretty good and certain times were excellent. Did some wandering around in DSR on 9/29 before leaving and was very surprised by the number of dead fish. Fished DSR again on 10/5 and 10/6......it was slow and was pretty shocking how quickly it changed in a week. The fish that were around on 10/5 and 10/6 were black and getting beat up pretty bad. Lots of spawning in DSR and tons of dead fish. I have been fishing up there for about 30 years and this past weekend sure looked and felt like the end of the salmon run to me. The fish started coming in decent numbers in August and it felt like it was going to be an early run this year. Hearing mixed reports about the guys fishing right out front in the lake but I am afraid that we will not see many fresh salmon entering the river. Hope I am totally wrong and you never know so I am heading back up this weekend for the Columbus Day Circus on the river. Hoping there are a few more steelhead in DSR this weekend.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hey Beagler,
We were just up stream of Ellis on Sunday from day break till about 11:00 Am....
If you were there I probably drifted right by ya.....
We had a decent day with better fish movement late Monday afternoon in that same area....
Reports from the lake are contradictory to some extent...One captain says they are marking solid fish just off shore and another says they are not finding any....
I will say the crowds are much larger this year in places were we used to find some quite areas....
The well known holes were just overrun with people.
People were literally fishing one in front of another across the width of the stream.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:52 AM

Headed up friday! Plan on splitting up time below town and above Ellis cove. Maybe some decent steelhead down low with 4 days of lows in the 40's.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

I'm not even heading back up this weekend All the reports stink. I think the fat lady has sung as far as the salmon run is concerned.

Never Misses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page