Chasing Brookies - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Chasing Brookies

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would take the time to share a recent trip that I took for some native brook trout. The destination was Northeastern, PA. I have some pictures mixed in along as a few videos for anyone who cares to watch. It was a fairly eventful day, so I split it into 3 parts.

Part 1, of course, begins with the first stream of the day. I left home around 4:30am and arrived around 7:00am. It was a chilly day for early September at 50 degrees in the morning, and a high of 60 for the day. The first stream was the largest that I would try, and it was very low. I was afraid of that, but I made the most of it. This stream only had a couple of pockets really worth fishing. And after a couple of hours wading, I had only lost one small brookie. With this being a stocked stream with easy access, I had a feeling that it was highly pressured. I walked back to the car, and I noticed a decent looking run just downstream from where I started. Just a couple casts and I landed my first fish of the day. After that I headed on to a new stream.

This second stream was by far the most action packed of the day. I was really struggling with the fish at first. I felt like I was losing one every cast. Eventually I settled in and started landing some fish. The best 2 wild fish of the day were about 10/11" so definitely no monsters. One was a very pretty brook trout, while the other was a wild brown. The same pocket that held by biggest brown of the day, also held a very large fish. Most likely stocked, but I couldn't get him to commit. The biggest fish of the day also came from this stream. It was a 13" stocked brook trout, that unfortunately slipped my grip before I could snap a picture.

Part 2 was at stream number 3. This stream had a little bit different of a profile, but about the same size. No big ones here unfortunately, but plenty of brookies willing to eat. I probably caught over a dozen in my short time here.

Lastly, was part 3 and stream number 4. This was an interesting one. The stream was about the same size as the past couple, and it was producing the same size and amount of brookies. I did end up running into another fisherman, so I decided to return to my car. As I was walking the stone road back to the car, I came across a small swamp on the side of the road. I thought "what the heck" and took a cast with the trout magnet in there. On the first cast something about 8" came up and missed the bait. After a couple more misses, I finally landed a pretty brookie. I could not find any stream that linked this swamp to the main branch. I don't think I have ever caught trout in something like that before, so that was really cool. The only other place I have had luck in a similar situation was the Adirondacks. After the swamp, I hit more spot on the main stream and caught a couple more fish. After a long day on the water I decided to pack it in and head home.

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:

Hope you enjoyed the write up and the videos if you watched!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:12 PM

Very nice! I enjoyed the write up, pictures, and videos! Thanks for posting!

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 09-30-2019 at 07:08 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:42 PM

Very well done.... Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks guys! Cant wait for the fall trout to really kick in!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:20 AM

I love trout fishing in the fall. The heat usually isnít too bad, bugs go away and the brook/ brown trout spawn. Also, I can double up on scouting for archery.

Just got back from an early fall trip out west. We fished CO, SD, WY and MT. I lived in a camper for 3 weeks, weather was awesome (cool mornings and 60s and sun in the after) and fish were very cooperative. Looking forward to next years hiatus out there.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterBuster View Post
I love trout fishing in the fall. The heat usually isn’t too bad, bugs go away and the brook/ brown trout spawn. Also, I can double up on scouting for archery.

Just got back from an early fall trip out west. We fished CO, SD, WY and MT. I lived in a camper for 3 weeks, weather was awesome (cool mornings and 60s and sun in the after) and fish were very cooperative. Looking forward to next years hiatus out there.
Nice!

Would really like to see some pictures from your trip here.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:24 PM

I will put a thread together with pictures in the near future. It was a great trip and I look forward to sharing it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:16 AM

Nice post and pictures!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
I love trout fishing in the fall. The heat usually isnít too bad, bugs go away and the brook/ brown trout spawn. Also, I can double up on scouting for archery.

Ah man it is the best, isn't it? I was in WY and MT in June. We got some fishing in, but most streams where pretty high with snow melt. Still gotta love those fish out there.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancFisherman View Post
Quote:
I love trout fishing in the fall. The heat usually isn’t too bad, bugs go away and the brook/ brown trout spawn. Also, I can double up on scouting for archery.

Ah man it is the best, isn't it? I was in WY and MT in June. We got some fishing in, but most streams where pretty high with snow melt. Still gotta love those fish out there.
Just driving out west is an experience. It’s so wide open and you feel like you have panoramic view almost everywhere you go. Mere words can’t describe it. It must be experienced.

There’s lots of different wildlife to see too.

The streams are so much different and the trout too. There are species of trout we don’t have here. I’ve caught three different species of cutthroat, rainbow-cutthroat hybrids, and bull trout out west. I’d love to catch a golden trout and grayling some day. Even the browns and rainbows are different. They’re both bigger and broader on average, and you have the opportunity to catch big wild rainbows out west. With the exception of a very few streams, that opportunity doesn’t exist here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page