Three Very Different Outings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I fished three times over the holiday weekend and each outing was very different.

A long time friend asked me to take her nephew fishing. He's 16, visiting from California, and had never fished before. Since Thursday was Fish for Free day, he didn't have to have a license.

She dropped him off the night before and I showed him how to tie some knots and gave him casting instructions. The next morning we left early.

As we were walking across a bridge, two deer fawns ran across a meadow, then surprisingly walked straight toward us. They got within about 15 feet before they took off. Their mother wasn't in sight.

We fished two different sections. We were on the first section about six hours. I only fished about half the time. Since he'd never fished before, I was trying to guide him. Like a lot of beginners, he had a lot of trouble casting and setting the hook. He lost a trout within 15 minutes of starting and I was encouraged. Unfortunately, he didn't land any trout. He lost 7 or 8 trout. I told him that hooking trout is spin fishing's biggest challenge. He kept at it and never showed any attitude or disinterest. He's a very polite and personable kid and I enjoyed spending the day with him.

I caught 16 wild browns in the limited amount of time I fished. The largest was a nice 15 1/2 incher, which Pharoah is holding below:

After we walked back to the car, we had lunch, then drove to another section of the creek, which is stocked. (I probably should have taken him there first, but I'd never fished that section before). Shortly after we arrived, I caught a rock bass, which surprised me. I took the water temperature and it was 72, so we reeled up and went downstream of where we fished in the morning. Unfortunately there were two cars there, so we decided to call it a day.

I felt bad that he didn't catch any fish. He thanked me for taking him fishing, said he enjoyed a new experience, and that he wants to try it again next summer.

We walked 2.9 miles on the day.

The next day, I met Mark Nale on a very remote freestone stream. We walked in about a half mile before starting. We fished upstream around two miles before the heat and humidity made it too difficult to continue. I dunked my quick dry fishing shirt in the creek, wrung it out and put it back on before we made the long walk back. I still had a lot of difficulty dealing with the heat. It was so humid that my sunglasses fogged up when I tried to use them, so I never did.

We combined to catch 86 trout. Mark caught 49; 29 native brooks and 20 wild browns. His largest trout, which was the biggest for either of us, was a 12 1/2 inch wild brown. I caught 37 trout; 21 native brooks and 16 wild browns. My biggest trout was only 10 1/2 inches. We caught a lot of sub-legal brooks and browns and enjoyed every minute of the catching. I always enjoy fishing with Mark. My phone said we walked 4.1 miles.

I rested on Saturday but intended to fish Sunday. I felt lousy when I first woke up so I waited until I felt better before I headed out. Unfortunately, there was a fisherman parked where I intended to fish so I drove upstream a long way, assembled my gear and hit the stream.

I fished the main stream for an hour and a half before I reached a tributary stream. I caught 14 wild browns, 1 native brook, and a smallmouth bass in that time. The largest trout was a 12 1/2 inch brown.

I had only fished a short section of the trib previously, so I decided to fish more of it, figuring I could return to the mainstem if the fishing was poor. I wouldn't regret my decision.

The freestone gem produced 67 trout in 4 1/2 hours. 65 of the trout were browns, 1 was a 14 1/2 inch stocked rainbow, and 1 was a 10 inch stocked brookie. The stream is class A, but a private club needlessly stocks their section, as many private clubs do. My largest trout was a 16 inch brown which I caught under a low bridge. Due to its small eyes for its size, I believe that trout is a stocker. All the other browns were wild. I lost an absolutely beautiful brown that had a vibrant orange belly. It wasn't a hog, but if I'd landed that one, it would have been the trout of the day.

While fishing past a house along the stream, I caught 5 trout in less than 10 minutes while its owner watched. He laughed uproariously with each trout, then before going back in the house, asked me not to reveal the stream name to anyone. I of course, agreed.

I walked 2.7 miles for the day.

Pictures from the day:

loridr, blackpowder, cz550 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 08-02-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great pics and enjoyed the stories.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:50 PM
The Man

Good on you for taking that young man fishing!
Trout Traveler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by settler View Post
Great pics and enjoyed the stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Good on you for taking that young man fishing!
. Thanks very much!

It’s important to take kids fishing in my opinion. To open their eyes to the natural world, and to show them responsibility and conservation.
loridr likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Part of the Community

What an Ambassador to the sport !!! Congrats !!! Thanks for putting a smile on my face !!! Great Photos too !!!!
Trout Traveler likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:57 PM

Very fun to read that write up Andy. That looks like a enjoyable weekend.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
Very fun to read that write up Andy. That looks like a enjoyable weekend.
Thanks Trout, glad you enjoyed it. It was an enjoyable weekend.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Glad to see that on the day Mark fished with you that you both caught more brooks than browns. While many streams clearly have a dominant population of one or the other and I rarely keep track of subtotals for species, when it is close I will sometimes fish for a little longer to catch that extra brookie or two to get them the win. The reason for this is pretty simple. I grew up in SW PA and if there was one thing I learned growing up in the Burgh it was that under no circumstances is it ever acceptable to let the Browns win. Ever.

I'm curious about how accurate you think the phone miles logged is? Reason I ask is because I know how inaccurate my Garmin GPS is. While it is highly accurate in an individual location, the frequent slow movement and stops in fishing when it is logging constant data points 5-20 feet apart results in a total miles logged WAY over what I do. It frequently shows a trip log close to 20 miles for me. While I frequently travel up to a few miles walking in and out, the straight line between points on the stream where I start and stop are miles less than the trip log.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgeorge2 View Post
Glad to see that on the day Mark fished with you that you both caught more brooks than browns. While many streams clearly have a dominant population of one or the other and I rarely keep track of subtotals for species, when it is close I will sometimes fish for a little longer to catch that extra brookie or two to get them the win. The reason for this is pretty simple. I grew up in SW PA and if there was one thing I learned growing up in the Burgh it was that under no circumstances is it ever acceptable to let the Browns win. Ever. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I'm curious about how accurate you think the phone miles logged is? Reason I ask is because I know how inaccurate my Garmin GPS is. While it is highly accurate in an individual location, the frequent slow movement and stops in fishing when it is logging constant data points 5-20 feet apart results in a total miles logged WAY over what I do. It frequently shows a trip log close to 20 miles for me. While I frequently travel up to a few miles walking in and out, the straight line between points on the stream where I start and stop are miles less than the trip log.
I keep track of a lot of details when I fish: species caught, stocked or wild, trout size, type of lure, hours fished, and often # of trout that slipped the hook.

As I’ve said before, I love brown trout and think we are lucky to have them. Yes, they are more dominant and often take over in streams that were originally native brookie streams. I think in most cases, it’s more due to habitat degradation. Browns are the most adaptable of all trout and are able to thrive in places the brookies can’t. You don’t see native brook trout in streams that aren’t forested for the most part. But you see wild browns in cities and places you wouldn’t expect to see them. If it weren’t for browns, much more water would have to be stocked and the fishing wouldn’t be nearly as good as it is.

I’m not that particular as to what species I catch when I fish. I get what I get. I do notice when I go somewhere and catch few or none of a particular species when I normally catch a lot of that species. There’s a stream I sometimes fish that has wild rainbows in addition to brooks and browns. When I first started fishing there, I caught about equal numbers of native brooks and wild rainbows, with a fair number of browns. The last few times I’ve fished, most of the trout are rainbows, followed by browns, and only a few are brooks. Not sure what happened there. I’ve read that in some places where rainbows have been introduced and established reproducing populations, they’re even more effective in displacing brook trout. Wild rainbows in PA are extremely rare in most of the state.

As far as accuracy on miles walked on my phone, I think it’s fairly accurate. I rarely stay in one spot for more than three casts on a small stream so I’m moving most of the time.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My brown/brook comment was an attempt at humor being a Steelers fan.

Based on the total miles in your posts I suspect your phone is more accurate than the Garmin. I exclusively spinner fish so am also constantly "moving", but even in the time it takes to put my boots and waders on at the back of my SUV results in a trip "total" of a few hundred feet. 5-20 feet location accuracy sounds good, but even standing in the same spot for more than a few seconds results in the device logging those random points 5-20 feet apart as movement. I'm sure there is something in the settings I could change that would decrease the frequency of data points.
Streams certainly aren't a straight line either, but when my start stop straight line measurement is 2-3 miles and the device says I walked 7 or 8 miles to get from point A to point B, I know it's pretty far off. I never tried the phone, mostly because Google maps sucks my battery dry pretty quickly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page