Salmon Fishing 2019 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Salmon Fishing 2019

This will be my first year going up to NY for salmon. What’s a good spinning setup to take? Similar to steelhead fishing? What lb line and fluorocarbon?

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 10:35 PM

Read some of the posts from last season. Lots of good info.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 PM

A good 9ft rod and 12 or 14 # main line. Swivel to a leader of 10 - 12#. A egg fly, of plastic egg on a size 6-8 hook. I prefer estaz eggs and woolly buggers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 03:22 PM

Indiana has ya on track....
My set up is an Ugly Stick rod 9' light action.... The rod choice is 90% of the set up and is the most important in battling these fish.
Too stiff of a rod and those fish will just break you off every time....
You are not going to muscle in a salmon. To land a Salmon, it is a combination of technique in rod handling and patience to tire the fish out.
My reel is a Cabela's Tidewater ( which I do not think is made anymore) it's like a 1500 series reel, but you don't need a surf rod reel like I see a lot up there, way too big...
The reel has to have a solid proven drag system, that's most important.
Make sure to have quality waders with felt soles and studs. These fish will take you on a walk before you land them so good footing is essential.
I run 15# main line mono to a small black swivel and my flouro ranges from 10# all the way down to 4# based on water level and clarity...
My split shot is attached to a small ( 1 1/2" long) piece of mono coming off the top eyelet of my swivel and size of the split shot is dependent on water level and clarity.
The reason I attach my split shot this way is in case the split shot gets caught in the rocks, the split shot and small piece of mono will rip off and not harm my main line.
My hook choice is a #6 Eagle Lazar Sharp.
I tip my hook with a single bright pink egg which I can plainly see during my drift. (Indiana knows where I am going here)....
Lastly, go with someone who knows how to fish "the drift" then it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice....
Once you get the knack of spotting fish and casting to them the fun will begin....

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in