Muddy water tank - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Muddy water tank

Caught this tank in the muddy water this morning. Heaviest fish I've caught in a long time. He unfortunately got the lure clear into his gills but you want to talk about some awesome looking deep orange fillets. Fatty already had 5 crayfish in his belly and still inhaled a 6" lure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8040_1558909907548.jpeg (638.8 KB, 69 views)

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:09 PM
The Man

Wow!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:58 PM

Very nice.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:48 PM
Regular Visitor

Wow, awesome fish! Caught in local waters?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:57 PM

That is a huge brown, congrats! Obviously you had reason to believe a big one was there by using a 6 inch lure!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Think I'd be tying on a Rebel crayfish next time I fished there ... LOL

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Traveler View Post
That is a huge brown, congrats! Obviously you had reason to believe a big one was there by using a 6 inch lure!
That's just how I fish. Big lures and cover a lot of water.
RyanR likes this.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:31 AM

Awesome fish. You're beating them up pretty good this year. Question, did he roll over dead upon release or did you assume he'd die because he was bleeding? I'm not judging at all as I don't care about folks keeping trout at all. People get all wound up sometimes but in reality it doesn't make any difference to a fishery. I'm just curious. I've found over the years (with no scientific backup) that most trout don't die when their gills are bleeding. In all my years of fishing I can only recall a few times walking back to the truck and seeing a dead fish and I deep hook a few more fish than I wish I did. Maybe 2-3 out of every 100. I'm a firm believer that if released quickly MOST trout that are bleeding will make it. Some wont but I truly believe most will survive. I catch several trout a season with their gill completely torn. If that's not proof enough that trout can survive then nothing is. Trout are super tough fish contrary to popular opinion. Again though, if you just felt like keeping it awesome! Mother nature will grow more haha.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

I cradled him in the net for awhile but he was just pumping blood out with every breath and had no strength. A size 2 hook in the gills will do some damage. From personal experience working at a trout farm / pay to fish I will agree that trout are stronger than a lot of people think, if they aren't already stressed from environmental factors. The misleading part is how the ones that are mishandled actually die. It's very rarely an immediate death. Typically 2 or 3 days later. For instance this past weekend was extremely busy in our c&r pond. We didn't pick up any mortalities but I can guarantee that Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday we'll be picking up dead fish.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:55 PM

I am glad you did not waste that fish. I found several dead in a creek I fish this spring. Last year I had two greedy guys come in right beside me at a lake, they caught 4 fish each, then released a lot more, so they could keep fishing by not having their limit. Fishing bait, some of the fish were gut hooked and bleeding, they threw them back, just so they could catch more, several of their cripples, would come to the top with their nose skimming the water. Hard to say how many they killed, they probably caught between 35 and 40 fish that morning. These guys did not cut lines on deep hooked fish. This year at the same place I watched a fellow bait fishing, anything that was bleeding bad he would give away, anything deep hooked but healthy he released by cutting his line. He cared about the fish and its survival, after he gave away 5 fish, that he did not think would live, he left. He caught and released many fish, that probably most or all survived. A story of 3 men that could catch a lot of fish, one sportsman and two who were not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page