Valley Creek - Valley Forge - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Valley Creek - Valley Forge

Anyone do any fishing in this creek?

I want to hit it with Spinners and lures this summer when the other streams start to slow down. I know that it's "All Tackle", but I'd prefer to carry a small box with spinners and lures in and not worry about much else.

I know that a few guys I've spoken with are real sticklers on the fact that I won't be carrying a fly-rod, but I see that as a non starter in a conversation. I will be carrying my spinning gear and being happy as can be!

Just wondering if anyone has fished it, and how it does throughout the warmer months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeymjr23 View Post
Anyone do any fishing in this creek?

I want to hit it with Spinners and lures this summer when the other streams start to slow down. I know that it's "All Tackle", but I'd prefer to carry a small box with spinners and lures in and not worry about much else.

I know that a few guys I've spoken with are real sticklers on the fact that I won't be carrying a fly-rod, but I see that as a non starter in a conversation. I will be carrying my spinning gear and being happy as can be!

Just wondering if anyone has fished it, and how it does throughout the warmer months.
Water levels will raise and fall like most other streams in the area so plan accordingly.
I would suggest getting there early.. a lot of fly fisherman hit that stream and spook fish and they tramp up and down it's length.
If you can get some early morning un-molested fish, you can have a good day.
Don't let the BMW driving, fly fishing genius's tell you that you can not fish there just cause you don't have a fly rod in your hand....
Good luck,

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thank you sir!

I don't mind fly fishermen. I'd actually love to try it sometime. What I don't care for is when I get the pretentious attitude, as if I'm ruining their outing.

My FIL and his brother fished it for years, and remember being there one day when while they were fishing, dozens of dead trout started floating down the stream towards them...apparently one of the spills into the the stream. They haven't fished it since.

I hope to get there some morning soon...possibly even this Sunday if the rain holds off. I sometimes luck into a weekday where I don't have to work, and might head over there one of those days as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know it's a spring creek but please just pay attention to the water temperatures if you fish it in the warmer months. And I mean actually check it with a thermometer in the water for a couple minutes. If water temperatures start getting up to that 67, 68 degree mark and towards 70 that's when you want to really consider giving it a break. It's a wild trout stream so just respect that resource and have fun

I'm a flyfisher but I could care less what tackle somebody uses as long as they respect the resource. I think most of us feel this way and there's actually just a small percentage of the self-righteous gear snobs in our ranks. I ignore these guys too.
stinkbait and .257 like this.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Last edited by RyanR; 05-09-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I know it's a spring creek but please just pay attention to the water temperatures if you fish it in the warmer months. And I mean actually check it with a thermometer in the water for a couple minutes. If water temperatures start getting up to that 67, 68 degree mark and towards 70 that's when you want to really consider giving it a break. It's a wild trout stream so just respect that resource and have fun

TT: I recommend everyone carry a stream thermometer. As Ryan said, it’s critical in the warm weather months but I use it in all months.

I'm a flyfisher but I could care less what tackle somebody uses as long as they respect the resource. I think most of us feel this way and there's actually just a small percentage of the self-righteous gear snobs in our ranks. I ignore these guys too.
TT: Well put.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:16 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Traveler View Post
TT: Well put.
I'll second all the above.

Fly-fishers aren't all bad.

I fly-fish and have had guys hassle me on the stream about using a "fairy wand" and that kind of stuff, so I know how you feel about being hassled.

As was said, just ignore them, be a sportsman and continue to do what you're doing.

Above all, respect the stream, the fish, and respect your fellow angler, whatever equipment they choose to fish.

Last edited by afishinado; 05-10-2019 at 07:19 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:30 AM

You might want to try Pickering Creek near Holman's Market out there on 113.

I kind of recall that Valley Creek had an issue with PCB contamination and it was catch and release only. But - that was quite some time ago. Never fished Valley Creek but did a lot of hiking along the banks and in the area. Need to get back to that.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:11 PM

I seem to remember some guy that fished as they did during "colonial times" - he did the whole deal from outfit to horse hair leaders. I think he used to do reenactments at the Park. If I remember right he was affiliated with a fly shop called "the evening rise".

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemole View Post
I seem to remember some guy that fished as they did during "colonial times" - he did the whole deal from outfit to horse hair leaders. I think he used to do reenactments at the Park. If I remember right he was affiliated with a fly shop called "the evening rise".
Interesting. There were actually 2 forges on that creek in colonial times and a pretty big dam (maybe 2 of them) that was needed to keep the water wheels turning. Don't know how fish would have survived in that creek during colonial times with them forges pumping all that effluent into the creek.
Read a history of the area many years ago and there was a movement to have Valley Forge be the armory center for the new fledgling government at the end of the War for Independence but that business went to Springfield.
Hey, another good place to fish locally is French Creek hear the covered bridge just down the road from the US Army Reserve Center. They have finally restored the mill there and the area has some history as a powder and arms production facility servicing Washington's troops. I think it blew up a few times......

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 PM
Regular Visitor

I fish this creek all year around. What others have said previous all goes. I’ve never came across high temps in that creek as the water remains a pretty constant temp with the influence of springs along its course. You don’t have to keep just to the National Park either, there’s access to the creek at other points. Always a good time fishing it and always have landed fish. Main thing to remember is just don’t be an idiot and respect it like any other waterway. It’s the best wild trout waters close to the city and many would hate to lose out on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page