Reflective perspective - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Reflective perspective

Trout fishing became a souring ordeal for me about forty years ago when it seemed that more than half the fisherpeople encountered on a waterway were so incensed with getting their "fair share" of trout that they would stop at nothing short of manslaughter to fill their creels. Cussing each other out, cutting lines, throwing objects at each other...I just wanted no part of it and quit.

Retirement and acquisition of a lifetime license got me to thinking of trying for trout again on the assumption that times have changed. And they have!

In the big picture, one can look at the various sports in terms of how much area or square footage of space it takes for each participant. On the lower end, there is card playing where five or six participants can play in about 50 or 60 square feet. Bowling requires more space per participant, but not a whole lot, about the same as playing tennis. Playing football or baseball require much more space but a lot more people can participate at the same time. On the upper end is golf where acres and acres are required for each participant. There are exceptions of course but, generally, that open space tends to alleviate tension that can develop when people, or animals as the case may be, are jammed into tight quarters.

Fishing in streams doesn't require a tremendous amount of space, being limited to the width of the stream and the distance one can cast up or downstream. Many times, two or several people can fish that same area without interfering with each other if they are courteous. Fishing the bank of an impoundment allows an even bigger area for each participant amounting to the distance one can cast in about a 180 degree arc, but still doesn't require the participant to hog a large amount of space. If one has a boat and anchors somewhere to fish, he/she can cast around the vessel for 360 degrees, a larger area but still limited by the distance he/she can cast. The redeeming aspect of fishing from a boat is that it allows the courteous boater to leave the area fished by bank fisherpeople and spread the impact over areas of the waterway, which in itself can alleviate the tensions of overcrowding.

Now comes the difference between now and forty years ago. I don't recall that the practice of trolling for trout was at all popular. Not so today. It seems that everybody has a trolling motor and uses them to exhaustion on small impoundments that typically hold trout. I triedfishing one such impoundment yesterday in my canoe, which I paddle,only to be perpetually buzzed by trollers, many times only feet away from my anchored canoe. I fully expected one of them to snag my anchor rope with a trolled spinner. While the rest of the people fishing the impoundment were content to occupy a modicum of space, the trollers demand to utilize the entire impoundment with little, if any, consideration for other fishermen. I'll use the canoe for other purposes, but, from now on, I'll limit my trout fishing to streams.

Just one more observation: Every one of those trollers seemed to be well past average weight for their heights. I suppose cranking the handle of a reel to fish a spinner was just too much effort for them.
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:20 AM

After opening day you will have the lake to yourself and the fish will still be there if you dont want to deal with the crowds.
Danesdad likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:26 AM

Just one more observation: Every one of those trollers seemed to be well past average weight for their heights. I suppose cranking the handle of a reel to fish a spinner was just too much effort for them.

Trolling is effective...I've done it...its boring in rod holders....but holding a rod until a fish hits and tends to rip the rod out of your hand is fun.

That being said, your crack about trolling motors and overweight people being the only people who troll is in poor taste.
Asajoe1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Go ahead. Fire away. I expect it. But criticize what I actually wrote.

1) I said this took place yesterday. That was five days after opening day. I declined going out at all opening day purposely to avoid things like this.
2) I did not say that "overweight people are the only people who troll." I said that all the people I saw trolling that day fit that description. I said it was an observation. Compared to the behavior I endured from the people who were the topic of my post, labeling my comments "in poor taste" is a joke itself.

Trolling, no doubt is effective. I didn't say it wasn't. Done the way I observed yesterday, it is hoggish of the waterway and inconsiderate of other fisherpeople. Being effective doesn't justify that.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:16 PM

I don't do the trout thing really, but I fish for walleyes and on lakes I primarily fish 95% of fisherman either drift or troll, it's the anchored boats that get in the way and cause the most traffic issues. I can't live my life getting worked up about that kinda stuff though, best thing to do is just smile, wave, and work around whatever you are presented with. Fishing is not meant to be a stressful endeavor. If you want to live your life looking for things to get worked up about, it's not difficult to find them I guess.
CritterBuster, Danesdad and .257 like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:19 PM

Windsniffer: If you expect people to criticize what you actually wrote you came to the wrong place. I learned that here some time ago.

My favorite trout fishing is up in the mountains where the chance of running into a rattlesnake is more likely than running into another angler.

In my opinion, trolling from rod holders, where the fish hook themselves, is like being four years old again and having your dad hand you the rod with a fish already on the line. BORING unless you are a little kid. No skill involved except where to drive your boat. I don't even consider it fishing.
bigguy54 likes this.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=FrankTroutAngler;3534263]Windsniffer: If you expect people to criticize what you actually wrote you came to the wrong place. I learned that here some time ago.

My favorite trout fishing is up in the mountains where the chance of running into a rattlesnake is more likely than running into another angler.

In my opinion, trolling from rod holders, where the fish hook themselves, is like being four years old again and having your dad hand you the rod with a fish already on the line. BORING unless you are a little kid. No skill involved except where to drive your boat. I don't even consider it fishing.[/QUOTEThis right here is your answer.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler View Post
Windsniffer: If you expect people to criticize what you actually wrote you came to the wrong place. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] I learned that here some time ago.

In my opinion, trolling from rod holders, where the fish hook themselves, is like being four years old again and having your dad hand you the rod with a fish already on the line. BORING unless you are a little kid. No skill involved except where to drive your boat. I don't even consider it fishing.
I’m not a lake fisherman. I’m sure trolling is effective for lake trout or any other deep dwelling species, but I would also consider it boring.

But if someone wants to fish that way and they enjoy it, more power to them.

I don’t care how people fish or what they fish with, as long as they don’t litter, don’t keep more than the daily limit, and practice good fishing ethics.
pahoytman, bigguy54 and Danesdad like this.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 04-21-2019 at 10:04 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:45 PM

People that troll aren't mindlessly just rolling around a lake haha. There is a system to it. A purpose. It's an excellent strategy for locating fish in a large body of water and a tactic that absolute works well, especially with other options aren't working. I've never trolled for trout since trout are almost always on the move and not in a stationary school. You can anchor up and wait for a trout to come to your bait. But I almost exclusively troll/drift for panfish on lakes. When I hook one I mark the spot and drift back over it until I stop catching fish. Then it's back to trolling to find the next school. Anyone that's too proud for the tactic....have fun not catching fish as often as the guy that does. Hopefully your pride remains in tact though ;-)
.257 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003 View Post
People that troll aren't mindlessly just rolling around a lake haha. There is a system to it. A purpose. It's an excellent strategy for locating fish in a large body of water and a tactic that absolute works well, especially with other options aren't working. I've never trolled for trout since trout are almost always on the move and not in a stationary school. You can anchor up and wait for a trout to come to your bait. But I almost exclusively troll/drift for panfish on lakes. When I hook one I mark the spot and drift back over it until I stop catching fish. Then it's back to trolling to find the next school. Anyone that's too proud for the tactic....have fun not catching fish as often as the guy that does. Hopefully your pride remains in tact though ;-)
I’ve never done it since I’m not a lake fisherman.

I’m sure people troll for lake trout in the Great Lakes and other bodies of water that have them. I’m sure it’s effective because you have lures in the water all the time.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 04-21-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page